X-10: Here is a little history. Rev. Graham, whose grave is seen below, founded Augusta Academy in 1749. The name was changed to Liberty Hall in 1776 during the American Revolution. In 1796, George Washington was given $20,000 in canal stock. Since he felt in good conscience he could neither accept nor refuse the gift, he donated the money to Liberty Hall Academy. In appreciation, the school was renamed Washington Academy (as on the grave below) and later Washington College. After the Civil War, the nearly bankrupt Washington College offered its presidency to the now unemployed Robert E. Lee, and was pleased and surprised by his acceptance. Lee was a very good president, increasing the size of the student body from 40 to 400 and creating a sizeable endowment. After his death in 1871, he was buried under the campus chapel he had built and the college was renamed Washington and Lee University.