Fuji Showcase 1-Light Portraits, XE3

KillRamsey

Hall of Famer
Name
Kyle
(Used the 35 f1.4 and the 56 1.2)

A very dear friend started a business, and I offered to help with shots. Lo and behold, he texted 2 days ago and asked if I could shoot headshots last night at 4. He needed 3 people and 1 group shot. Given that it was solid rain, and the sun sets around 5, there was no shooting outdoors. So I had to light. But I don't have stands or modifiers, just 2 remote speedlights.

So .... I texted a pro friend to ask if I could borrow a stand and shoot-through umbrella. "Come over!" But his stuff wouldn't hold my lights AND modifiers, because his lights actually hold the shafts of the umbrellas / octaboxes, etc. I had to use all of his stuff, which was an Elinchrom battery pack hard-wired cable deal. Remote triggers, all sorts of stuff. All new to me. He showed me how to set up, link, and adjust power. Then he gave me a quick pep talk, because he's awesome as hell.

I got there at 4, and the first thing I did was ask how long I had total. "30 - 45 minutes? 60 max." Wellllll, $hit. That's not much. Then a quick discussion about vision, "what do you picture when you imagine this? Also time-wise, we're only going to get 1 setup and rotate you all through it."

Knocked it all together, and the FIRST test fire, the flash popped off perfectly, no issues, thank jebus. ISO200, 1/180, f8, test model in place, stand close range at 45 & 45, and then minor tweaks to output power and aperture and I was making usable shots inside 20 mins in the door. Kept the mood light, made jokes, enlisted my friend to make better jokes, shot RAW+Fine in Acros+R, later converted some to Classic Chrome. I tweaked last night in Polarr, but honestly very little. I could've done better, and I have a lot to learn. But I feel like, for 60 minutes in and out the door, I did better than I hoped.

A toss-away shot I liked.
45472998935_32652b64a5_b.jpg
KBRY3256P
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

She was so easy to shoot.
45472998155_129c1d3eee_b.jpg
KBRY3276P
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

31446243917_9c32eb0292_b.jpg
KBRY3293P
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

45662278424_01a9c51cb1_b.jpg
KBRY3317P
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

45662277324_aa7b5e6120_b.jpg
KBRY3345P
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

45662277014_69840d98b1_b.jpg
KBRY3374P
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

And one in color...
46334528922_e851207cbf_b.jpg
KBRY3419PC
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Some very nice shots. I got a free Rotolight with my A7RIII and finally plucked up some courage to actually unbox it and get some batteries for it. Now I just need to figure out how it works! Well done, you did well :)

Thank you. I've tried something like this with my Yonguo lights probably 5 or 6 times in the past 4 years, which meant I had SOME idea what to do. Otherwise, there was no way that would've gone well.

well I don't know what to look for regarding good portrait photography, but I'm quite certain this qualifies. I'd be over the moon with those.

So what would you have done differently?

Honestly, I often don't "get" why someone would be interested in most "portrait" shots, but these really excel for me in that I feel I am "meeting" these people. I'm getting something beyond just their visage....or what their face looks like. I feel like I am getting insight into their character.

Maybe it's just me. Or this first margarita after a long day on the computer.

(What would I do differently) Ideally? I'd have more time. This was one light position, and in one location. I started as far back as I wanted to go max, then inched closer. And we worked on getting more "serious" faces first, then tried for more personality. I'd have tried to rig a light directly overhead vs. off-axis like this, if I could. I'd get working shots, ie Environmental Portraits, shot at desk height with a wider lens, looking at them drawing on a large blueprint. I'd try different angles, say different things to try for different responses... I'd use a bounce card at least to loghten up those shadows, if not a 2nd light.

I think I got what they needed, but I feel like I could've gotten more of what they want, even if they don't know they want it til they see it and go "oh yes, that's awesome."

And I'm kinda hooked, here, I really enjoyed that, and it makes me want 2 stands, and some modifiers.

Back