HP 1 MP photo from 1998

dougpayne

Top Veteran
Name
C.D. Payne
Taken in Hawaii with my first digital camera, a HP Photosmart. $300+ price got you a fixed wide-angle lens, optical viewfinder (not through lens), and dinky screen on the back for reviewing the stunning results. Operated on AA batteries. A few years later I tried to give away this camera, but no one wanted it. I wonder why?
DSC00042.jpg

That's basically a nice image, well composed, and it makes a fine souvenir. I understand why people then said digital couldn't replace film, but digital was already good enough for many purposes, cheap to use, and easy to share on the Internet. I wonder whether smartphone cameras have as much headroom for technical development as digital cameras had in 1998. I doubt it, but I wouldn't bet against it.

My first digicam had 3MP, a Minolta Dimage Xt back in 2003. It wasn't that bad but somebody stole it from me and I replaced it with a much better IXUS 430.

I once borrowed a camera like that, for my first experience of digital photography. You would only see what you'd taken some time later, when you could download the files to a computer. It was a bit like shooting film in that respect.

-R

My first digicam was a Sony Mavica that recorded 640 x 480 images to a 1.44" floppy. At the time, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. These days, even a small sensor camera is capable of recording images that far surpass the Mavica. How far we've come.

My first digicam was a Sony Mavica that recorded 640 x 480 images to a 1.44" floppy. At the time, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. These days, even a small sensor camera is capable of recording images that far surpass the Mavica. How far we've come.
I remember that camera. It was cool at the time.

My first digital camera was a work issued Casio if I remember right. I can't begin to say how bad it was. The first one I purchased was an Agfa 1280. Loved it with all its quirkiness and the photos weren't bad either. I won one on eBay a few years ago real cheap to play with but returned it because the guy had just thrown the 1280 and a boat load of misc cables in the box that had nothing to do with it.

Back