12th Cameraderie Photo Challenge: Your favourite "Snapshot" of 2018

12th Cameraderie Photo Challenge: Your favourite "Snapshot" of 2018

Snapshots. Often derided by people on photography forums but not by me and so I'd like to use this latest challenge as an opportunity to celebrate them. So as it's December (already!), let's see you choose just one from this year. I reckon it's going to be very difficult. Note that I said favourite, not best. The image may require a short explanation, or it may not need one and be self explanatory. By way of example, the below image, taken way back in January would be my own personal favourite as it reflects a genuine moment of life in Africa where I was at that time.

_R350819.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It matters not to me that there is no sharpness or dynamic range to the image. But that’s just me, yours will be different to mine (it could be an image taken in your back garden) and that’s what I’m looking forward to seeing.

Btw, the “winner” of this isn’t really a winner - your favourite image is your favourite image and that’s that. It's only me judging this you know

And so to the rules:

1. Either take pictures that match the nominated theme or select some from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the images in order to enter it.

2. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement pictures that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

3. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo-challenge, after all!

4. The winner will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Challenge, and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the SC Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

5. The curator cannot enter his or her own salon.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Theme sounds interesting, but I always feel that different people interpret the word Snapshot differently (just like 'point and shoot camera'); is a snapshot a shot taken while you're not focused on photography? Or can it also be, for instance, a street shot which, although you didn't have much time to set it up, you did go out and hope to find? Or should a snapshot be something you took primarily to record a memory rather than because you thought the photo in itself would be great?

Theme sounds interesting, but I always feel that different people interpret the word Snapshot differently (just like 'point and shoot camera'); is a snapshot a shot taken while you're not focused on photography? Or can it also be, for instance, a street shot which, although you didn't have much time to set it up, you did go out and hope to find? Or should a snapshot be something you took primarily to record a memory rather than because you thought the photo in itself would be great?
Whatever interpretation you have is fine by me.

bath-remodeler01.jpg

I don't do "snapshots," but after looking through some of my photos, I realized I grabbed this while I was shooting some pics of my bathroom remodeling project to share on my own forum. I only use my phone's camera when I am doing these kinds of projects, so I guess I can classify them as snapshots. The phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 4.

P7070006-Edit.JPG

Too shallow, and it would have no meaning to anyone else - but this is a shot of my daughter on her birthday with her best friend dressed up as princesses. Even aged four, you can sense how important their friendship is to each other, and this picture captures that togetherness.

View attachment 191124
Too shallow, and it would have no meaning to anyone else - but this is a shot of my daughter on her birthday with her best friend dressed up as princesses. Even aged four, you can sense how important their friendship is to each other, and this picture captures that togetherness.
The eyes looking through those pink glasses are mesmerizing and just anchor this shot.

This is a tough one for me. Hard to say what my favorite is, was, or might be.
Also hard for me to wrap my mind around what a snapshot means, to me, at least.
So I looked in the dictionary:
snap·shot
/ˈsnapˌSHät/
noun
an informal photograph taken quickly, typically with a small handheld camera.

Okay. I can live with that. And most of my cameras are pretty small. Relatively speaking. All are small enough to handhold which is basically the only way I take pictures. All right.

I can't honestly say that this photograph is my all-time favorite. But it's one of my most recent. And it definitely was taken snapshot style: I was walking along the street in the small town where I live, heading downtown, when I saw something in a yard I was passing that caught my attention. So I lifted my camera and pressed the shutter.

Here it is.

DeadSanta.jpg

Back