12th Cameraderie Photo Challenge: Your favourite "Snapshot" of 2018

View attachment 191083

I don't do "snapshots," but after looking through some of my photos, I realized I grabbed this while I was shooting some pics of my bathroom remodeling project to share on my own forum. I only use my phone's camera when I am doing these kinds of projects, so I guess I can classify them as snapshots. The phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 4.
Jim, knowing your woodworking interests, is that a 'faux' wood case or is that real wood case on your phone?

(yeah, the smilies in XF 2.1 will be welcome.)
If configuring them is like it was in 1.5.x, then you still have quite a job to do if you don't want old posts to have a bunch of :where'dthesmileygo: with missing smilies. When I converted my vB 3.8 to XF 1.5, I had to make sure my members' most used smilies were added in and for those I didn't want, I had to assign their :code: to a smiley that was similar - and you could add multiple codes to a single smiley, thereby reducing the actual number of smilies. Annnyway, this is OT... sorry.

I attended the Armistice Ceremony in London this year for the 100th anniversary of the end of WW1. My wife became unwell and was projectile hueying ectoplasm (well, that is how it seemed to me) in a very undignified manner. So we were off to the nearest railway station to return home. I saw a fairly old Rolls Royce/Bentley type car coming towards us at a quite low rate of knots. As it passed I just panned and shot a few off with the `sony A7M2 with flash and 85mm f/1.8 lens. Who would have thought it would be Princess Anne daughter of our Queen. Wasn't she lucky to be photographed by me!!!!

God bless her and all who sail in her :O)

30889445257_71ef7c7ae7_b.jpg
Armistice Day, London - Princess Anne
by Pete Tachauer, on Flickr

Last edited:
Most concert shots from the "shooter's pit" have a certain commonality. The close up-angle, combined with the proximity to the stage edge, rarely results in a head-on or even close eye-contact with the performer. They're usually looking at the audience, not the photo pit.

I took the time to follow Roy Hargrove as the set called for him to sit in back, while the rest of the quintet played their parts. The direct look as he gets back up from resting to take center stage is absolutely rare - three months from when it was taken - he was gone. The Grammy award winning trumpeter passed from complications with his on-going battle against end-stage kidney disease. I have many photos of him playing his beloved Inderbinen Silver Art horn, but this is the one that reminds me most of his presence.

NJF-2018-016-Edit-2-LREdit.jpg

Last edited:
Most concert shots from the "shooter's pit" have a certain commonality. The close up-angle, combined with the proximity to the stage edge, rarely results in a head-on or even close eye-contact with the performer. They're usually looking at the audience, not the photo pit.

I took the time to follow Roy Hargrove as the set called for him to sit in back, while the rest of the quintet played their parts. The direct look as he gets back up from resting to take center stage is absolutely rare - three months from when it was taken - he was gone. The Grammy award winning trumpeter passed from complications with his on-going battle against end-stage kidney disease. I have many photos of him playing his beloved Inderbinen Silver Art horn, but this is the one that reminds me most of his presence.

View attachment 191303

Great photo. I was gutted to hear of his passing.

Loved this, I can appreciate every snapshot here:

@michealj - really like this, the various lighting, the different conversations, the reflection in the mirror, the positioning of the tables, chairs, so many lines, so many elements in the one image and all done quickly.

@kyteflyer - yeah! That’s what it’s all about. I can see that was a spur of the moment opportunity which you took. Wouldn’t have got that any other way.

@donlaw - you fancied the shot, you took it, it works! You’ve inspired me to do the same rather than just walk past.

@Christop82 Snapshot of the end to a nice day, I can appreciate how memorable that was for you. I like the way you remember the gear used, if only because I’m like that too.

@theoldsmithy - it’s a snapshot alright (which is good). You had to think quick baring in mind you had picture spoilers quickly coming your way. Didn’t degrade the image. I love that tease of red on the lighthouse which dominates to the extent I can easily look at that picture for a long period of time.

@Jim McClain - If you don’t do “snapshots” then you should. Plenty in that image in my humble opinion.

@drd1135 - Congrats on the granddaughter - her personality reeks!

@ionian - innocent beauty

@MiguelATF - @Richard ’s comment that “I like the reindeer guard of honour for their fallen leader. Very poignant” cannot be bettered by me.

@Tim Williams - Good one!

@chickenherby - That snapshot shows that the driver rather likes what he’s doing!

@Lightmancer - No explanation necessary I think, it’s all there in the image (who wouldn’t like that?)

@mnhoj - For me, it’s about what’s grabbed his/her attention and what he/she is thinking. Obviously something on his/her mind which it’s left open for us to speculate on. Good one.

@Petach - Pretty sure you caught her vaguely smiling - she never smiles! Worth a win by itself that one.

@Covey22 - The first paragraph of your summary says it all for me. That is a very difficult image to attain and yet the way you’ve done it makes it look so easy, as if we’re all capable of doing that. And what a man! Well done.

@Matero - Fantastic memory.

@john m flores - A very popular image when you initially posted it here and understandably so. Requires no explanation at all and like pretty much all the images here is a worthy winner.

Oh yeah, the winner - er, take a bow @theoldsmithy. May well have been a snapshot, but I still can’t stop looking at your image xx days after you posted it. More so, I dare say, than if one were to take half an hour setting up. But what is it that makes me choose it over the others? Well, I think it begins with the shaft of red on the lighthouse, which draws me to the rust, then other parts of the image. Simple things please simple people (me). Well done Martin, over to you for the next challenge and thank you all so much for entering!

Back