13" X 19" Capable Printer Selection

Hey Folks,
I'm looking for a new printer for home that can handle 13" X 19" paper. I have an HP B8550 at work that cranks out some incredibly strong prints but this printer is getting very difficult to find. I've been reading about the new Epson Artisan 1400 series. It appears to be, at least from what I've read, a possible choice but I'd really enjoy hearing your thoughts on photo printers capable of handling paper up to 13" X 19". Affordability is a concern too. Thanks in advance.
. . . David

You'll be hard pushed to find anything better than the Epson Stylus Pro 3880. Prints up to A2+
And not very expensive for the performance offered.

Disclaimer : I'm in no way related to Epson !

Goodluck,
Rafael

there was a highly recommended one that I saw (I think it was on mu43.com) that many people owned and recommended and I believe the price was closer to $400 than $1,400. I'll have to search for the thread. How many professional 13 x19 prints could I have made for $1,400? I like to have the best I can get (before the law of diminishing returns kicks in). I'm usually happy with 90% of the performance of the best for 25% of the price.

That last 10% is just too costly.

there was a highly recommended one that I saw (I think it was on mu43.com) that many people owned and recommended and I believe the price was closer to $400 than $1,400. I'll have to search for the thread. How many professional 13 x19 prints could I have made for $1,400? I like to have the best I can get (before the law of diminishing returns kicks in). I'm usually happy with 90% of the performance of the best for 25% of the price.

That last 10% is just too costly.

Print volume is obviously important, and a very individual thing.

My input is this - if you are printing enough to need / want a printer, then the total cost of ownership (largely governed by ink) should guide much of the decision.

Another vote for the Epson 3880. A fantastic printer, but the real reason I bought it was because the two blacks inks switch automatically. Before, I had to manually switch them, and I'd have to go back and forth several times in a single printing session. I don't really need the size, but it is the smallest printer that offers that option. The prints I get are gorgeous in both color and B&W.

The 3880 and my color calibrated monitor were luxuries, but both are wonderful to use and worth every penny.

+1 for the Epson 3880. I have owned and used an Epson 3800 for the last four years and it has been an absolute delight. Reliable and superb image quality. The initial cost seems high, but when you factor the cost of the ink cartridges, it's actually not bad at all. Plus, the cartridges are relatively large, which means the cost per ml of ink is significantly lower than with lower priced printers.

From what I have read, the 3880 is even better than the 3800.

Cheers,

Antonio

At the risk of getting slammed, I have had excellent results from my HP Deskjet 9800. Both the color, and B&W, prints are extremely good. The B&W prints are the best I've gotten from any printer, and there is no color cast or matamerism. I"ve had prints from this printer hanging in various venues around town with sales from those displays. These are only available refurbished now, but I would consider replacing it if it ever failed. Never any clogs even after sitting for weeks/months on end. The HP 7000 may be the replacement for this printer and is available from B&H for $114.95 including shipping. Don't know if the output would match, but at that price for a 13x19 format printer, I would try it.

My other printer is the Canon Pro 9000 Mark II that I bought new in the box for $150 on craigslist. Many of the folks that got these as part of a Canon deal are selling them as they don't want, or need, them. I haven't printed much from it yet, but what I have looks great. No clogging with this one either. I plan on using OCP inks to refill the cartridges for about $0.30 each when they run out. I know a lot of folks swear by Epson, but I'll never own another one. My experience with them was a lot of wasted ink trying to clear the clogged print head. I don't print very often, but when I do I want my printer to print, not use up ink to try to clear the clogs.

Just another man's opinion.

Back