14 Mil + XE-1 | Sample High ISO @ Stanford Church

I had the privilege of joining mass last Sunday at the iconic Stanford Memorial Church at the Stanford University here in Northern California. The Church was built during the American Renaissance by Jane Stanford as a memorial to her husband Leland, and opened in 1903. The church decor is nothing but spectacular. I happened to have my 14 mil and my XE-1 handy and decided to see what this combo can do in low light after the service. Here are a few images of the church and their respective 100% image crops - all shot handheld and are JPEG SOOC.

First the outside of the church (shot @ 250 ISO):

14MilXE1LowLightTestStanford_zps1a3e8e34.jpg

Outside @ 100% crop:

14MilXE1LowLightTestStanford-001_zps3b6e78df.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Then some low light shot of the dimly lit inside:

Altar (shot @ 1600 ISO):

14MilXE1LowLightTestStanford-006_zpscd986648.jpg

Altar @ 100% crop:

14MilXE1LowLightTestStanford-007_zps87c577fc.jpg

Ceiling (shot @ 1600 ISO):

14MilXE1LowLightTestStanford-003_zpsb0e7b52f.jpg

Ceiling @ 100% crop:

14MilXE1LowLightTestStanford-004_zps584a103c.jpg

Stained-Glass (shot @ 3200 ISO):

14MilXE1LowLightTestStanford-009_zps2374c0a5.jpg

Stained-Glass @ 100% crop:

14MilXE1LowLightTestStanford-010_zpsb8b39cd2.jpg

I'm not a pro at evaluating IQ - nor a pro at anything at all for that matter :) - and I'm new to joining photography forums in general...so I would like to solicit your thoughts. What do you guys think?

For all my Fuji-X-shooter friends who are celebrating lent...wishing you the very best this season. :)

Cheers'nBlessings from the Bay,
{h}

Very nice Henry! The quality of those interior handheld shots is quite impressive.

Thanks, John! I would have called you to connect up...but I was doing a family shoot there in the afternoon (of someone who actually works at Stanford University), and just did a last minute, impromptu, hop over to attend the mass. I was quite impressed with the handheld results, but I'm not a pixel-peeper either. The results seems good enough for me for JPEG SOOC. Let's try to connect soon!

What a lovely church, and very well captured. The crops look very clean if not razor sharp, but when we're talking ISO1600-3200 in a dark interior, presumably hand-held, and with unknown levels of noise reduction and sharpening applied I'd be pretty damn happy with them if they came straight out of the camera like that! Impressive.

What a lovely church, and very well captured. The crops look very clean if not razor sharp, but when we're talking ISO1600-3200 in a dark interior, presumably hand-held, and with unknown levels of noise reduction and sharpening applied I'd be pretty damn happy with them if they came straight out of the camera like that! Impressive.

Thank you, Nic. And you were correct in that these were handheld. No NR or sharpening applied at all...simply SOOC. Thanks again for dropping by and leaving a comment, I appreciate it.:)

Morning Henry. What a special place to celebrate Mass. Why are these SOOC? Why are your ISO so high and fluctuating?

Gary

Hello Gary - part of my reason for posting SOOC is primarily laziness. :D

But the I specifically wanted to test the low light/high ISO capability of the XE-1 (hence the high ISO for the interior shots with the first one being the exception as it was outdoor). Fuji seemed to have been able to get it right with their X-Trans sensor and their JPEG SOOC is so far good enough for me. Although I normally shoot RAW+JPEG, I generally ended up and am pretty happy with the JPEG images (especially because I don't want to shell out more for C1 software). :p

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back