Fuji 14mm DOA

Kafn8td

Rookie
I received my 14mm today and it is DOA. Put it on my X-pro1 and it refused to focus. hmmmm 35, 18-55 and 60 work fine. Checked the software on the 14 and it was 3.0, so updated it to 3.10. Still no luck.

Anyone have any ideas before I get an RA from B&H?

I took my wife to the airport, stopped off for dinner and when I got home I remounted the lens...I'll be darn if the focus ring didn't push forward on accident. Whew I feel a lot better. Thanks for the replies.

I took my wife to the airport, stopped off for dinner and when I got home I remounted the lens...I'll be darn if the focus ring didn't push forward on accident. Whew I feel a lot better. Thanks for the replies.

It's one of the nicest features of that lens (and the new 23mm as well) -- unless you move it accidentally, lol. Glad it's okay.

It's funny, as I remember at least half a dozen different forum users who complained about faulty 14mm and 23mm lenses. A few even returned them to their dealer and started shitstorms about Fuji's utter lack of quality control and build quality.

Fuji might want consider abandoning this MF clutch technology, as it seems to create a lot of customer satisfaction problems. Not to mention that the MF clutch implementation has actual issues that I have already written about.

It's funny, as I remember at least half a dozen different forum users who complained about faulty 14mm and 23mm lenses. A few even returned them to their dealer and started shitstorms about Fuji's utter lack of quality control and build quality.

I'm pretty sure one of the first pages of these lenses' manual alerts you to how the clutch mechanism works (not to mention every single review out there). Do people really return products without RTFM'ing?

Fuji might want consider abandoning this MF clutch technology, as it seems to create a lot of customer satisfaction problems. Not to mention that the MF clutch implementation has actual issues that I have already written about.

I'm having a love-hate relationship with the clutch-focus. On the one hand, I love the hard stops and well-defined focus-to-turn relationship, meaning that, unlike the 35mm, the speed at which I turn the focus ring doesn't affect how much the focus plane moves. Basically, the 14mm and 23mm focus manually just like old-school (and most modern) lenses.

On the other hand, I miss not having the option to AF via the AF-L button, because I will generally forget to push the clutch forward before hitting it.

I'm going to sit on the fence about this one, but I will say that I'm much, much, much happier manually focusing the 14mm and 23mm than the 35mm.

Yeah, why is that? It's not like all of a sudden you would stop wanting DoF info in the EVF.

Because Fuji is using a different CoC on their engraved scales. When I pointed out this difference, instead of fixing it, they just removed the electronic scale. It was still there in the initial firmware version.

The same concerns get raised frequently by new owners of Olympus lenses with manual focus clutches that think their lens is faulty. I had a few Sigma and Tamron DSLR lenses in years past that required you pull back on a clutch to switch between AF and MF but they all had clear markings on the lens to show which mode they were in.

Back