Leica 1937 Carl Zeiss Jena 8.5cm F2 Sonnar, Contax RF to Leica adapter, custom indexed Cam

The black J-9 has a secondary shim behind the rear element. Taking it out shortens the focal length and increases distance between rear element and the image place- same as increasing the main shim. I got one to do well between 1.5m and 20m for a movie maker in Montreal.

I've used the 5cm f1.5 Sonnars on the EP2, just did not warm up to the EVF. I know they are getting better. Using the J-9 on a full-frame mirrorless is also an alternative. Sony sounds like they might come out with a "real" raw file, not the lossy compressed format that introduces artifacts into the image.

I partially disassembled the Sonnar this weekend- the screw that holds the aperture ring "shell" was filed down for the optics to fit into the focus mount. Rather than cut a new slot (done that before), I removed the rear triplet and found the problem. The anti-reflective paint on the Exposed portion of the middle triplet had come off. This meant the group did not have to come out of the barrel to apply the new coat. The area was reachable through the Aperture using a Sharpie permanent marker.

The Flare is gone. With a lens, that is a good thing.

Wide-Open, all shots. This is with the Sun in the frame.

21783098432_d5d447e2e4_b.jpg
Early Fall
by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

This would have been a problem before:

21607947049_98285aa751_b.jpg
Early Fall
by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Back