1980s Shopping Malls in the US

As do I have those memories! The malls don't look much different today, although today you can avoid them almost totally whereas that was kind of harder in the '80's before online shopping and before a lot of local shopping areas had been revitalized. But the fashions and hairstyles sure look different, as do the shapes of the people - amazing how stark the weight problem has gotten in this country in 30 years! And you wouldn't see a women sitting and having a smoke out in a public part if the mall today.

Man, it's seeing stuff like this and similar from other eras that keeps me doing street photography. Quality aside, it creates a pretty interesting time capsule of what our world looks and feels like today that'll probably be a real trip to go back and look at 30 years from now...

-Ray

I can remember one of my first visits to the US many years ago. In those days we didn't have "The Mall" in England, we didn't even know how to say it, and it was quite a novelty. Now we have too many and they say it's killed the High Street shops.

I can remember one of my first visits to the US many years ago. In those days we didn't have "The Mall" in England, we didn't even know how to say it, and it was quite a novelty. Now we have too many and they say it's killed the High Street shops.

They've killed off main street stores over here. You don't see people on the street anymore, instead everyone is in a shopping centre somewhere. Every suburb has one it seems, even if its just a small one.

I've posted this photo before, it was taken around 11am midweek, on Hunter Street, which is the main street of Newcastle...
8883819632_38d6162c2b_z.jpg

The Dead Heart of Newcastle by kyte50, on Flickr

Back