1st & 2nd Studio Photo Shoot of 2014

taz98spin

Top Veteran
A New Years resolution of mine was to shoot more and get my name out there in this competitive New York market!

Thankfully, word of mouth travels fast and got to shoot an engagement session and an actress in January.
However, both shoots were on-location, so we were all freezing cold..

Towards the end of January, got contacted by 2 models and was able to shoot my 1st and 2nd studio session of 2014, all the in the same day!

The models and their friends love these images! So do my friends, and it seems like those in my circle in google+ like them too.
So wanted to share these images here too :)

First photos from the X-PRO1 + 60/2.4

12375079253_56cbd9a6a3_b.jpg

Allison by Taz Spin, on Flickr

12375078373_6aa149a5b9_b.jpg

Allison by Taz Spin, on Flickr

Next from the X-PRO1 + 35/1.4

12375667765_c09b87ea31_b.jpg

Keri by Taz Spin, on Flickr

12376120234_5015183ebf_b.jpg

Keri by Taz Spin, on Flickr

I have 2 more models coming in tomorrow to shoot, so hope to share more images again!

Congrats man! How are you putting your name out there? Posting on Craigslist or Facebook or ?? Just wanted to know as I'd like to do the same!

Congrats man! How are you putting your name out there? Posting on Craigslist or Facebook or ?? Just wanted to know as I'd like to do the same!

Thanks!!
My wife works as an Occupational Therapist at an elementary school (I too am an OT, but different setting). Many of her co-workers are engaged or have young children. So I have several photo shoots booked already for March and April.

As for finding models.. If I was still back in the Midwest, I would use Craigslist, but I've heard too many horror stories about Craigslist in NYC..
So I've used Model Mayham, Models.com, and One Model Place.
I've had 2 modeling agencies contact me through the portfolio I put up on Models.com as well, but little progress has been made since the initial contact.
I should do a followup I guess?

Also, since photography is only a supplimentary source of income, to justify buying new camera gear :p
My rates are super competitive, and I have the confidence and experience (ex- 3D designer / animator, with a focus on realistic light setups and renderings) to back my skills up, so I'm getting a lot of business for a weekend shooter.

So it's really about putting yourself out there, and spreading the word.

Best of luck!

Should have photoshopped out the roots on Allisons part.. nice photo otherwise.

Added on G+

Thanks for the comment! I don't know why but when I use my iPad to reply back, sometimes my comments don't go through? This happens over at m43 forum too..

Anyways, as you might have noticed, I added you to google+ as well.

So what's your lighting setup like for these shoots? I've never shot a portrait using artificial light but I'm trying to learn for when I do step up!

So what's your lighting setup like for these shoots? I've never shot a portrait using artificial light but I'm trying to learn for when I do step up!

Thanks for asking!

For these images I used constant light.

I have a Westcott Spiderlite TD6 with a 7' Silver Parabolic Umbrella as the main light. Lighting them almost directly above at a 45 degree angle.
Right next to them, I used a gold 35 x 70 inch reflector, to fill in some of the shadows.

Lastly, have an Westcott Ice Light as the hair light. After this shoot I bought a mini light stand to hold the Ice Light, but for those 2 sessions, my wife helped hold the ice light above the models' heads :p

I'll have to take a behind the scenes photo next time and share.
Hope my explaination helped!

Back