Fuji 1st few days with the X100S!

^
oh, i love it. i'm over 6'5" and so it helps for my hands. i always get a RRS quick release plate for all my cameras and vertical/battery grips. i like how RRS makes them modular (ie: for L-plate, etc.) and even adds a grip for the fuji cameras. i have one for my x-e1 as well. the grip on the x-e1 is a smoother finish while the one for the x100s is sort of matte and rounder. the x-e1 grip feels good, but the roundness of the x100s' grip feels better especially with a hot shoe thumb grip. a hot shoe thumb grip on the x-e1 feels weird for some reason. maybe a different one would feel better.

i need to add some gaff tape around the area of the synthetic leather of my x100s where my nails dig into it. i like how the x-e1 has this rubberized material around that area. oh, also, the bottom plate of the RRS (vs the one from fuji) doubles as an arca swiss-style quick release plate for quick mounting to a tripod. i also like how it still allows easy access to the battery/sdcard. i can even access all of it whilst mounted to my tripod. there's a hole for the speaker port as well.

(Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk)

Thanks for the reply! How much did it cost you?!
& does it make the camera feel heavier?!

you can find the prices for the three available pieces, here:
Really Right Stuff – Home

it's quite light - maybe between 3-4oz for the bottom plate + grip. the grip part does add a bit more gripping heft to the overall handling of the camera. when you take it off, you realize all over again the x100s' actual (smaller) size.

where you have the advantage over the fuji version is the access to the battery/sdcard. however, because of this grip design, you lose the access to the side ports whereas the fuji version keeps that access open. it's no biggy for my use.

4yne3esa.jpg

Really Right Stuff – Home

it's quite light - maybe between 3-4oz for the bottom plate + grip. the grip part does add a bit more gripping heft to the overall handling of the camera. when you take it off, you realize all over again the x100s' actual (smaller) size.

where you have the advantage over the fuji version is the access to the battery/sdcard. however, because of this grip design, you lose the access to the side ports whereas the fuji version keeps that access open. it's no biggy for my use.

Thanks! Might be my next purchase!!

i was wondering if yours was this way - when using the ovf, does the white light from the overlay seem to soften the whole screen and make everything not as clear as when the camera is off?

i was wondering if yours was this way - when using the ovf, does the white light from the overlay seem to soften the whole screen and make everything not as clear as when the camera is off?

I just tried with my ovf, it only becomes a tinted white when I switch from evf to ovf, but becomes clear after a split second!

Really Right Stuff - Item Listing

4yne3esa.jpg

This looks pretty cool!!

It actually looks like a small version of the old Fuji GW690

I just tried with my ovf, it only becomes a tinted white when I switch from evf to ovf, but becomes clear after a split second!
^
i just tried again. it stays in that hazy white screen. however, (when in AF-S mode,) it clears up when i AF, and stays clear. i'm wondering if it's a setting or a defect with my copy. i'll keep digging.

This looks pretty cool!!

It actually looks like a small version of the old Fuji GW690
4yge2ume.jpg

^
with hood facing out.

^
i just tried again. it stays in that hazy white screen. however, (when in AF-S mode,) it clears up when i AF, and stays clear. i'm wondering if it's a setting or a defect with my copy. i'll keep digging.

Hummm, that's strange, I got back in and I'm under a white florescent light & I see the white tint (very light tint) continuously.

When I was outside earlier and replied, no light tint. Could it be the light reflecting off of something?

yeah, it's weird. as long as i'm in either of the AF modes and have half-pressed, it stays clear till i shut down and power back up.

it seems, when the brightness of the overlay dims down, that's when it's clearer.

edit: with 'power save' mode on, if i half-press on a bright area, the overlay brightens up. it stays bright if i point away at a dark area, and vice versa. with 'power save' mode off, the ovf continuously adjusts brightness of the overlay depending on the brightness of the area i'm pointing at. i guess it's just the brightness of the overlay that's causing the white tint. too bad there's no coating or film in that projected area to prevent that.

yeah, it's weird. as long as i'm in either of the AF modes and have half-pressed, it stays clear till i shut down and power back up.

it seems, when the brightness of the overlay dims down, that's when it's clearer.

edit: with 'power save' mode on, if i half-press on a bright area, the overlay brightens up. it stays bright if i point away at a dark area, and vice versa. with 'power save' mode off, the ovf continuously adjusts brightness of the overlay depending on the brightness of the area i'm pointing at. i guess it's just the brightness of the overlay that's causing the white tint. too bad there's no coating or film in that projected area to prevent that.

Yeah, it's a shame.. But doesn't bother me too much I guess! Just another characteristic that I'll learn to adjust to!

Back