2018 Kingsbridge Bus Rally

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
Once again the time for this rally has come. I can't believe that it is the 11th and I have attended them all, but then for most of that time I've lived along one of the routes used. I have to admit that many of the subjects are the same as 2017 so, if I'm around for the 2019 rally perhaps I'll have to choose some different viewpoints or once again take to riding some of the buses to ring the changes in the images taken.

DSCF6025.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This entry was not in the official program but I was pleased to see a Western National Bristol K6B turn up. I would have traveled on one of these with my Mother to go shopping in Plymouth so it brings back memories of standing at the front upstairs holding onto the grab rail. This particular bus was based in Cornwall, hence the destination blind suggesting that it's traveling to Helston on the Lizard peninsula.

DSCF6009.jpg

This diminutive short wheelbase Bristol SUS was of a type especially built to access remoter villages in Devon. Here it is seen crossing the bridge at Frogmore en route to Southpool. I guess Southpool is not on its destination blind, hence it shows Kingsbridge which is actually where it has come from.

DSCF6034.jpg

Here it is returning with the blind now reading correctly as it heads towards Kingsbridge

DSCF6040.jpg

Here a Bristol FLF6G Lodekka is seen on Frogmore Bridge whence it can take a left turn to reverse direction and head back towards Kingsbridge although this driver needed a little direction from me. I would have traveled on these as a teenager free from Mother to go into Plymouth. Happy days.

DSCF6045.jpg

Like me this Bristol L5G from 1939 has attended all 11 rallies, the only bus to have done so. I'm somewhat younger than it is, but probably not as well preserved! Here it's en route for Southpool which won't have seen buses in this number since the last rally.

DSCF6066.jpg

South Devon was always Western National territory but here you'd be forgiven for thinking it was Devon General territory with a Leyland Titan pulling away towards Kingsbridge whilst the 1946 AEC Regal en route for Sherford and then Southpool pulls in at the bus stop on the opposite side of the road. I used to see the occasional Devon General bus in Plymouth on the Plymouth to Exeter route which they shared with Western National. Their AEC double deckers had a sliding door to the drivers cab which I thought very exotic, particularly as in the summer the driver would often have to door open for ventilation as he drove along.

DSCF6070.jpg

The 1939 Bristol L5G emerges from the side road leading to the village of Sherford.

DSCF6086.jpg

Last but not least the 1933 Bristol H with the correct destination blind for its run to Frogmore and Southpool. This bus would have actually worked this route when it was in service and based for a time at the Kingsbridge depot of Western National.

There were many more photographs taken, but hopefully these give a flavour of what has become a very popular rally with some people traveling great distances to attend, as indeed do some of the buses.

All images taken on what for me is a relatively new purchase, albeit secondhand, a Fuji X-Pro 2 with the 18-55mm zoom.

Barrie

PS, for the first time all processing has been carried out on a Linux machine running Gimp 2.10 with RawTherapee as a plug-in, and I can testify that it was a seamless and enjoyable process.

I remember the previous posting on this, thanks for keeping it up. My memories don’t go back quite as far as the buses shown(!) but I do remember the old Green Line buses of 40 or so years ago.

Nice series. The single-decker buses always make me smile as they look like double-deckers after encountering a low bridge. I enjoyed your commentary too.

-R
Where I lived as a child I would travel on the number 6 or 7 which was a service run by Bristol K6 double deckers. The number 5 ran to another nearby village but had to pass under a low bridge and so was run with single deckers. One day a driver transferred from the number 5 to the number 6 at short notice. No prizes for guessing what happened, but the double decker became a partial single decker, ops, who was driving on auto pilot!

Barrie

Back