2021 Raft Trip through the Grand Canyon

I'm doing the same trip next summer (May 2023), so this thread is fantastic. I hadn't put much thought into photography gear (or any other gear) yet, as my trip is over a year off, but this is a good jump start.

If I were going today, I think I would lean toward getting a TG-x for in the boat and using my E-M1 + 12-100 as John suggested for out of the boat and flat water. I'd go with that combo over the X-H1 +16-80 due to Oly's better weather resistance and for the extra reach.

But who knows, maybe I'll stumble into a pile of cash in the next 12 months and treat myself to an OM-1 or X-H2. 😎

Fun story: my sister did this trip in 2019 and got placed in a group with Jason Alexander (a.k.a. George Costanza), so you never know who you might find yourself with. Good idea to have a nice camera to document it.

- K

I'm going to return the TG6. Even with IS, it's hard to hold the camera really still which will be impossible on the raft. In addition, I just don't like the IQ. I may just go with not using a camera while we're in the raft, and pull out the X-S10 or the E-M1 for the hikes. I can store the cameras in a waterproof bag in between. It's odd because I'm happy with the output of the Pentax Q, another 1/2.3 sensor camera, but except under very controlled conditions I hate what I'm getting out of the TG6.

Though the camera is only 'weather-resistant' and not totally waterproof, I would nonetheless recommend the extremely small (and extremely well-built) Canon G1x Mark iii. It has a superb APS-C sensor and a surprisingly excellent (and often underrated) zoom. It also has a small but very usable EVF, a simple (and logical) menu system, and even a surprisingly effective touch-screen. One of its few 'downsides' is that some users griped about the lens being not quite fast enough for available-light interior shooting, but on a Grand Canyon trip, that wouldn't be an issue. IQ-wise, and this is just a subjective opinion, but it is among the best cameras I've used. It's also extremely convenient for both one-handed operations, and also for having a fine small camera which won't weigh you down on longer hikes.

Incidentally, I share your fundamental dissatisfaction with the output of the Olympus Tough cameras. I owned the TG-6's predecessor, the TG-5, and try as I might, I could never really get it to come close to replicating the output of either my Pentax Q or its slightly improved tiny sibling, the Q7. I also must confess that having a small (but eminently usable) EVF turns out to be much more important to me in real-life shooting, than having a camera without one.

Last edited:
I'm going to return the TG6. Even with IS, it's hard to hold the camera really still which will be impossible on the raft. In addition, I just don't like the IQ. I may just go with not using a camera while we're in the raft, and pull out the X-S10 or the E-M1 for the hikes. I can store the cameras in a waterproof bag in between. It's odd because I'm happy with the output of the Pentax Q, another 1/2.3 sensor camera, but except under very controlled conditions I hate what I'm getting out of the TG6.
Thanks for sharing this, Steve. After reading and watching a bunch of reviews of the TG-6 and looking at sample images, I was leaning toward a similar conclusion.

Another option I've come across that I'm now considering is the Sealife DC2000. It's been discontinued, but it has a 20MP 1" Sony BSI sensor (the same one as in the Sony RX100 II?) and a 31mm f/1.8 lens and is shockproof and waterproof to 60'.

From what I've read, the interface is a bit awkward and performance isn't snappy (perhaps downright poor if trying to shoot RAW), so it had some warts. But the output I've seen looks to be at least a notch or two better than the TG-6.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw this out there as a possibility for you in case you're looking for other options.

- K

Back