2021 Raft Trip through the Grand Canyon

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
I’d like to draw upon the vast wisdom of the forum. Next summer, my wife and I are taking a raft trip down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. 12 days in a raft and a waterproof bag to protect my stuff. My options are the Fuji XH1 and the Sony A7Riii, both of which are water resistant. Since my lens choices for both are currently some normalish primes and a few short teles, I need to get some lenses. I’m thinking a wide zoom and something else. I have no real feel for this so I would appreciate some suggestions.

Are we talking about white water rafting here? If so, I'd be looking to buy or borrow a purpose-made waterproof camera for the action shots. Something that can cope with being immersed in water and knocked around a bit, and which has big chunky controls that you can use with one (wet) hand.

I saw a documentary about the Grand Canyon a few months ago. They were recreating the journey made by the original survey team, using replica wooden boats and it got pretty hairy at times. You certainly wouldn't want to be using an expensive camera and lenses in a situation like that, but perhaps your trip will be more civilised!

But maybe keep the 'good' camera inside the waterproof bag and use it when things are calm, and when hiking etc?

-R

This is a large motorized raft, which holds 16 people. We will be doing white water because there is no real option since we are going the length of the canyon. Maybe I should just get an Olympus Tough.

For a camera that can take some spray, the X-H1 should be fine. I havent been inpressed with what I've seen of Sony weather sealing.

The only ILCs that can take a proper heavy splash and most likely survive, as far as I know, are Olympus cameras, and perhaps the pro FF DSLRs (Nikon D5 style) with a choice lens. Maybe a Pentax model with the right lens.

For a great boat bag that has a rolltop (for splashes) and a submersible waterproof closure (for really wild stuff where you and/or the bag might fall into the water), I recommend a Watershed duffel bag with some photo inserts. The Goforth has a waist belt that is comfortable and allows for hands free walking but isn't quite stable enough for really aerobic stuff. The other models are just really good tough boat bags.

Alternatively, bags with a Tizip zipper are properly, sumbersibly waterproof as well. On a boat, where you are seated and can take splashes at any moment, I think the rolltop Watersheds offer more protection against surprise splashes just by letting the top hang down. When walking, the Tizip is quicker to open and close.

If you are confident your bag won't be submerged, a regular rolltop will work just fine as well.

Last edited:
I may get the 16-80 for the xh1. Another problem is there are no charging stations on the River. I need to bring enough batteries and power packs to last the while trip. No chimping for me.

Use some of that money to get some 20,000 MaH batteries and some solar panels to charge them. Then get a USB charger for the batteries, unless you can charge directly in camera via USB. And yes, no chimping. And turn off when not in use.
I’m not sure about the schedule and whether or not I would have time to use a solar charger. I suspect we won’t get information until closer to the date. OTOH, the company may have their own stuff.

I would be satisfied with an Olympus Tough camera.

My mindset would be to capture images that are "good enough". I wouldn't want to be worrying about my gear on a trip like that. If you decide that you definitely need something "better", I'd get an older Pentax body and the WR 18-135. I imagine your budget for that simple set-up would be under $500....and if you decide you don't need it after the trip, you could flip it for roughly what you paid.

Also, many (or all?) of those older models could still take AA batteries if I recall correctly.

The thing is, you're probably going to produce better images with something like a Tough because you'll have it with you, right there in the moment while you're enjoying the experience as well as recording it, and you won't be worrying that your expensive camera is about to get submerged or bashed by someone's elbow. The best camera is the one you have with you ...

-R

I hadn't actually planned to use the camera in the raft. One option is to get a Tough to use in the raft and a really waterproof bag for the ILC . As I think about it, the Tough is almost a given. The company itself provides watertight bags for the raft and I could get something for extra protection. I would then have the ILC for photography on land, since are going on short hikes. Luke's idea might be a good one. There are lots of digital ILC that are dirt cheap right now and the land camera would not need serious WR. Hopefully, we will still be able to go. It's a year from now, but we may still be dealing with this mess even then.

Last edited:
How about as a crazy alternative idea, a cheap film camera that you treat as a disposable thing in the raft? If it survives, it survives. If not, that's $30 lost. :)

Would be a bit different. Moreover, not being able to chimp helps you enjoy the experience as it happens.

How about as a crazy alternative idea, a cheap film camera that you treat as a disposable thing in the raft? If it survives, it survives. If not, that's $30 lost. :)

Would be a bit different. Moreover, not being able to chimp helps you enjoy the experience as it happens.
I suspect given the price of film and developing,a reconditioned Tough is a cheaper option. Especially if I can get one during an Olympus outlet sale.

Any update on this old topic:
As you might’ve guessed, they’ve canceled the trip scheduled for this coming summer. I wasn’t really surprised. They did offer to give us back our deposit of $1000. However, they spoke to the rafting company and they agreed to roll the whole trip over to the summer of 2022. My wife has always wanted to go to the Grand Canyon, so we decided to commit to next summer. This summer is our 40th anniversary, but I guess we’ll wait until #41. By then, maybe I can save up enough money for the new GFX100S and an underwater housing. :D

Last edited:
I'm bumping this thread. The trip is back on for this June and I'm still no closer to coming up with a solution I like. I know I should just get the Olympus TG6 as it checks off so many boxes. I like using small sensor cameras, but that's mostly for street work where a certain roughness can be part of the charm. This trip will be mostly tremendous landscapes, however. My big fear is that I will take a bunch of shots, get home, and just be a little dissatisfied with the lot. Maybe a TG6 for the river and and the Fuji XS10/16-80 f4 in a waterproof bag which comes out for the sides hikes? If I do get the TG6, I'll want to get one soon so I can use as a daily shooter for a while. Amusingly, I could now consider selling a bunch of stuff and investing in the well-sealed OM-1. :)

If the ILC comes out for hikes only, something that'll survive a knock here or some rain there should be fine. The OM-1 would be the obvious choice for an ILC to use while on the raft - although an E-M1 of any generation would probably not be far off for sealing

Definitely TG6 for the rafting.

Used E-M1 MkII + 12-100 for the rest. Every test I've ever come across puts Olympus weather/dust sealing at the very top, usually by a considerable margin. Look at testing by Roger Cicala and also Imaging Resource (IIRC).

Many, many accounts of Olympus weather resistant gear surviving all sorts of accidental abuse, washing under running water, etc, etc, going all the way back to the 2003 E-1.

The 12-100 focuses very close, and gives you UWA to medium telephoto in one lens. Also superb image quality with this kit.

A friend of mine from back in the film days floated the Colorado every year with her Nikon gear she gave me quite a few 8 x 10's and the more memorable ones were on the flat water in the canyon with all the beautiful rock formations , I think your going to have a lot of opportunities both on the water and the banks for a lot of stuff to shoot. I spend a lot of time kayaking , usually nothing above a 3 or 4 but I have just decided not to freak out about it after numerous trips and take what I want. I shoot Olympus and it does get wet in a kayak but a little prudence goes a long way. Your situation being in a raft will probably be a lot different than mine but I have a dry bag of course and also a waterproof ammo box that I converted for my camera it has a flip up locking handle that makes it easy to stow between my legs and close when things get a little dicey. I did five days in the Okefenokee last fall and had I think six batteries but only used maybe four I don't have usb on my cameras but I guess with the newer models there are more options for sustaining battery life. I guess also as a piece of mind you could join PPA and get a insurance rider thru them or just rent stuff and have it insured. Hope you have a great adventure.

I'm starting to consider the following alternative to the X-S10 +16-80. I have this new-to-me E-M1 and I could get either the 14-150 f4-5.6 II or the 12-45 f4 for under $500. That would actually be the cheapest kit I could put together with some WR. I know the 14-150 is well regarded for a wide range zoom, but does anyone have the 12-45? BTW, there are a lot of high-grade used E-M1 Mark 1's on the market, all about $300. I finally thought to check the shutter count on mine and it was 4008.

Back