20th Serious Compacts Salon Challenge - the Square Format WINNER ANNOUNCED

Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone for entering their images into the salon. I would like to add a few words about each photo. Please keep in mind that I know nothing about photography and am merely offering my opinions as a lover of square photos.

BruPri - I love the colors and symmetry. I also think that a circle that fills the square is an excellent use of the format and almost always looks great.
Briar - I love the figures on their own. I love even more how the wires supporting them echo the lines on the building in back. I think it works best in b/w.
theoldsmithy - square format shots and geometric designs are like chocolate and peanut butter.....they go great together.
snkenai - a beautiful image of withering. I think some would have been tempted to drain the color, but I salute you for keeping it. the magenta/purple background sets off the plant nicely
mnhoj - sometimes simple is the best. This one nearly got my vote. I might have gone a half stop brighter and I feel like there is a slight color cast here. The flower is not displaying white on my monitor.
KillRamsey - love the color, love the repetition of forms, love all the water bottles (!). Just a great shot that many would have walked right on by.
MiguelATF - I generally like a circle in a square, but I'm not 100% sure this one works. But I like that you gave me an 800 x 800 shot. :cool:
kyteflyer - I must admit...I'm a sucker for cat photos. And Tom is one of my faves. In b/w with the vignette, this has a feel of an old TLR shot. I like it.
Boid - a joyful shot. I love the color. I feel like the people are nearly being clipped off the bottom, but it works. Have you tried desaturating your blue channels completely to turn the skies black? It might get rid of the noisy bits in the negative space on the right. Maybe it won't work, but that is what I would try. The shot is great regardless.
ReD - This one is above my paygrade. I don't understand it, but I like it.
ajramirez - This guy nearly got my vote. I love his posture and the closed eyes, and I love your framing of him. In the end, the message or story of the man is not clear and that very well be my lack of vision.
Mayank - excellent use of negative space. Many would have zoomed in or cropped to fill the frame. I like it just as you shot it.
pniev - I think you had that lovely shot of the pastel crayons. It's not showing now, but I loved the colors and crispness.
muzee - I love the lo-fi quality of the image. It reveals just enough to make us want to peer further in and hope to see more.
biglouis - just some Foveon magic. your choice of DOF is splendid and the OOF areas are as lovely as everything else.
drd1135 - another good circle in the square. I love the patina.
Will - simple and effective use of shallow DOF makes the image seem more playful than slimy. i like it.
MiguelATF - it's almost like you knew the first one wasn't my cup of tea so then you came back with one RIGHT up my alley. I love your processing on this one. This one is near the top of my list.
donlaw - I'm glad you re-did this one in color. Very well done.
christilou - with models like these two, one can't go wrong. The love is palpably captured here.
pdh - sometimes I think I don't understand what Paul is doing. This one I understand very well. The play of light and shadow invited the eyes to wander around the frame (in a good way).
CM_SK - dramatic lines and beautiful colors make for an impactful shot.

So after careful consideration (and my hands cramping up because I am TERRIBLE at typing), I award the winner of the 20th Serious Compacts Salon Challenge to donlaw for his "Eye in the Sky". Thanks to all for sharing your images. Don, we look forward to you setting up the next one.

Wow. I am honored to have my image selected out of this exceptional group of photos! Luke, you really set the bar high with this one. Very cool of you to give feedback on each of the submitted images! Thanks to all, this is very interesting and talented group.
A quick word on how I made my image. It started out as three separate images: a close up of my daughter's eye, and two photos of clouds. These images were composited into one using a free iPad app called MultiExpo.

I will give some thought to our 21st SC Salon Challenge and announce the theme soon.
Thanks
Don

I

Congratulations, Don!!
Luke, thanks for the initiative and the thorough evaluation. Indeed, hats off for using nice words about every photo!
Peter

Back