22nd Serious Compacts Salon Challenge - Ding Dong! We have a winner!

Lightmancer

Legend
Name
Bill Palmer
Welcome to the 22nd serious compacts salon challenge..... your theme for the challenge is DING DONG!. Not only is Christmas approaching, but I think it is time for a little fun... What do the words "Ding dong" mean to you? A doorbell? "...merrily on high"? "...dell, pussy's in the well"? For me, thoughts turn to the incomparable Leslie Phillips...

So, you can interpret as widely (and as broadly) as you like as long as there is some ringing going on! :D

The salon starts today December 13th and shall run for 2 weeks, ending on Dec. 27th.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rules are simple................

1. Either take a picture that matches the nominated theme or select one from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the picture in order to enter it.

2. There are several ways to add your photos to the current salon thread: 1. upload your entry to your SC user gallery (all entries must be present in an SC gallery), which you automatically get if you are registered on the SC forum, so if you aren`t registered you will need to if you would like to join the fun. (Don't know about the "gallery" yet? Then read this: SC Gallery FAQ please read it carefully if you are new to using the site's software.) 2. embed from Flickr or another similar web hosting photo site and 3. use the attachment method. All three are explained here:How to post images in forum threads

3. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement picture that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

4. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo challenge, after all!

5. The person who submitted the chosen picture will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Salon Challenge and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the SC Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

6. The curator can't enter his or her own salon.

7. Please, don´t be shy...Participate and have fun!

8. Each salon should be open for about two weeks.

Sent from another Galaxy

Bill, you really are from another age (like me!).

Does it have to be recent and does a shot from my GH-2 qualify as a serious compact? I only have one photograph I can think of which even comes close to the theme!

LouisB

OK, well this is probably going to be the only Christmasy-type shot I'll take now. The new London Routemaster bus outside the suitably seasonally lit Market Hall at Camden Lock, London. Taken a coupla days ago.
Ricoh GR

_R011077.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Wasn't there a chocolate covered hostess snack called a Ding Dong? Sort of a Twinkie wannabe with chocolate...
I think my mother used to stick those in my lunch box when I was a kid.

Yes! They were round, and the chocolate coating always cracked and fell off when you ate them, which annoyed me to no end. I much preferred the filled cupcakes, which probably had a silly name too but I can't remember what it was. Ding Dongs may still be around, or they may have died when Hostess went bankrupt, although Hostess Twinkies are back.

Those of us who live in the United States are probably all familiar with Hostess Ding-Dongs, those tiny round chocolate cakes injected with a creamy white ultra-sweet filling that generations and generations of kids have craved and consumed in frightening quantities.

But a 'ding-dong' is also a term used to describe someone who's not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, so to speak. It's also, I believe, a town in Texas. And lastly but definitely not leastly, it has been a colorful term of vulgarity whose implied meaning I won't elaborate on here.

Of course it's also the sound synonymous with doorbells....

Which leaves us a lot of potential terrain to explore, photographically speaking.

I'm still cogitating upon this.....hope to come up with an image that has its own inner ding-dong-iness.

Welcome to the 22nd serious compacts salon challenge..... your theme for the challenge is DING DONG!. Not only is Christmas approaching, but I think it is time for a little fun... What do the words "Ding dong" mean to you? A doorbell? "...merrily on high"? "...dell, pussy's in the well"?

But a 'ding-dong' is also a term used to describe someone who's not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, so to speak. It's also, I believe, a town in Texas. And lastly but definitely not leastly, it has been a colorful term of vulgarity whose implied meaning I won't elaborate on here.

The town in Texas is Dumas, "Home of the Ding Dong Daddys". It's in the panhandle, just north of Amarillo.

Here is a brief History
http://www.ci.dumas.tx.us/visitors/docs/Legend_of_the_Ding_Dong_Daddy.pdf

Back