Fuji 23mm vs 27mm vs x100s..?

cwolffensperger

Regular
Name
Chris Wolffensperger
Shooting the X-E1 for a while now, combined with the 18-55, 14, 18 & 35mm. Really pleased with its performance in handling as well as image quality, actually with all lenses. However for portability most lenses are still a bit to big, so for casual shooting, or as a daily take-with me camera u still take the X-10.

Really liking the 35-40mm FF equivalent as a point of view, I was thinking about the 27mm pancake, since it also makes the combo smaller and a bit more pocketable. But would it be wiser just to spend a bit more, and just take a bag and go for the 23mm. Or completely different view: save even more up and get a x100 (s?) as a 2nd body and 23mm shooter?

Anybody here who's got experience with either camera or lens? And any wise advice? Thanks!

It's a dilemma, you're right. I decided I wanted the 23mm f/1.4 for it's aperture, even though it's bigger and I just got one.

I sold my X100S -- and miss it as it is quite a lovable thing. I have the 27mm f/2.8 which I usually shoot on my X-M1 body which is my second body and generally where I need "compact camera" size. The X-E2 is my main body. Often the X-M1 just ends up as my tripod camera.

There really are no bad choices you can make here. It's really hard to say what will work best for you. Do you commonly shoot two bodies on a shoot like I do? If so, you might consider the X100S for it's utility. But for me, I decided I just wanted two "system cameras" from Fuji and have dropped the X100S. Still, it's a very valid choice and it does have phase detect AF and so forth, it's uber-quiet, and just an all around piece of superior kit.

I probably took most of my shots over xy years somewhere around 35mm FF, used to love that FL for it's versatility. But then that's just me and some other unnumbered folks. Somehow though I never used 35(23-24mm) on APS-C that much, but that might have had more to do with something else. Last year I took most of my shots with the 30mm Sigma (45mm FF) on a NEX-7, it felt just right and the 24mm Zeiss stayed in a box most of the time. Now with my new X-Pro1 though I might pull the trigger on the 23mm, but a 15mm Voigtländer comes first.
Since you already have the 1855 ... you could use a strip of gaffa tape to fix the zoom ring and spend a week @23mm and another week @27mm to gather some impressions. It won't give you f1.4 but so what ? How about a little experiment before taking the plunge ?

If you think your current lenses are big, forget about the 23mm because it's the biggest/heaviest. I've used the 27mm for one day (some street shooting) with the X-M1 and was amazed by the IQ and usability of the ~40mm FF eq. So if you are looking for a lightweight-as-small-as-possible combination, the 27mm is the way to go. I haven't seen much difference between the 23mm and 27mm perspective. I doubt if anyone will be able to see much difference in the output of the 2 lenses in real shooting.

If you want/need a second body with the possibility to use your other lenses as well, the X-M1 and 27mm seem to be made for each other. The tilt screen is a real plus (something I never believed until I tried it).

I've chosen the 23mm because it combines better with the x-pro1 (that camera is not pocketable either). I am thinking about adding the x-m1/27mm combination or the x100s as a second combination for short trips. Not sure yet which one to prefer.

Peter

I've heard/read from many many photogs the 23mm f/1.4 is exceptionally sharp, even for a Fuji lens, even sharper than the X100s 23mm. (At 100% you can see the difference, but I always say if you need a computer to see a difference then there isn't any difference.)

I enjoy shooting with two cameras. One camera setup for long lenses the other setup for wide. I tried using the X100s as part of my two camera setup, and for me it just didn't work out at all. The X100s was either not long enough or not wide enough, so it rarely got used.

But, as a stand alone camera, the X100s is absolutely wonderful. If I had to only have one camera, it would be very hard to part with the X100s ... it may very well be the camera I keep. (I have, FF, MFT and APS-C cameras.) When I haven't anything planned and I'm out-and-about, I grab the X100s. When I go to a scheduled shooting I take the XP1 and E2.

Gary

Thanks everyone for their input. It still seems like a lot to think about. Good to hear the 27mm is a good lens to, was in doubt about it. Of course as I understand it can't match the 23. As far as I'm thinking now, I might check out the 27 in combination with my X-E1, and see how portable it is (the 40mm FF equivalent is nice, takes me back to my times shooting film with my Rollei 35).

Maybe the x100s might not be the path to go, it's indeed an extra body with no possibilities to change lenses, so maybe later if I need another body to combine it with the 23mm, so financially seen I hope the new-to-come X-pro2 won't make me mouthwatering and really stirring up my GAS too much....

Chris

Since you have the 18-55mm, you might want to use a free program like ExposurePlot on you library of images to see what focal length you shoot most often at. You may see a tendency for more shots in the 18-23 range than the 27-35 range which might help you decide between the 23mm and the 27mm.

I kind of facing the same dilemma. For me, it is more of NEED vs WANT or in another word, HEAD vs HEART.

23mm vs 27mm is only one step forwards or backwards. Looking at a photo, it would be hard to tell if it is taken using 27mm or 23mm.

I know I don't need the x100(s) to become a better photographer. But I want it because of all the fantastic reviews.

27mm + x-m1 makes more sense if you want a compact walk around combo. But I might get the x100s eventually, especially if I can find a deal I can't resist.

My 27mm is on its way. Once I get it, I will put it on my x-e2 and see what it feels like.

For me the X100S vs X-mount body with the 27mm or 23mm would come down to 3 things:

1. Do you need the extra stop of light the X100S offers over the 27mm or the extra stop the 23mm offers over the X100S? (If size is a concern you're not going to be considering the 23mm lens and if a large aperture is a primary concern you're most likely not going to be considering the 27mm so to me this really becomes a two horse race in any case)

2. Do you want the aperture control on the lens? (that is one thing that I really like about Fuji's approach. I'd miss that on the 27mm)

3. Do you want the hybrid viewfinder the X100S offers over any other X-Mount camera apart from the XP1

I just took the plunge and ordered a 27, and it just came in today... So hopefully I'm going to have some time to play with it. At least my x-e1 now fits in my jack pocket, so try to keep you posted! Thanks for all considerations!

Congrats ! Still trying to get my hands on a 15mm Voigt before I'm moving south. The 23mm comes next, just can't say no to f1.4, the 35mm is one hell of a lens.
Looking forward to some shots with the 27.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByFujiXspot1389288051.778005.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFujiXspot1389288051.778005.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 2,240
  • ImageUploadedByFujiXspot1389288073.662005.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFujiXspot1389288073.662005.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 2,253
  • ImageUploadedByFujiXspot1389288092.227446.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFujiXspot1389288092.227446.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 2,234
  • ImageUploadedByFujiXspot1389288114.544054.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFujiXspot1389288114.544054.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 2,239
  • ImageUploadedByFujiXspot1389288126.781956.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFujiXspot1389288126.781956.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 2,225
  • ImageUploadedByFujiXspot1389288137.743242.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFujiXspot1389288137.743242.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 2,225
Great writeup Mr.Bond, no big surprise though. I'm still having an eye on the X100 but that could change with the X30, IF it comes with a one-inch sensor.
Thanks for your efforts !

That's a great IF, indeed.

Yep. It's just that the X10 with a 16MP one-inch sensor would be a dream come true for me and some other folks as well. All-around as well as low-light performance of that sensor (Sony ?) with X-Trans CFA should be pretty darn close to that of late 2012/last years m43 sensors (EM5). Add a faster lens (f2-2.8(or3.5-4)) than that on the RX100(II), EVF, stick with the design, handling and macro capabilities of the X10/20, maybe with a slightly larger grip (battery) and you'd have a dangerous little beast for sure.
Let's wait and see.

Sorry for the hijack - back OT.

Yep. It's just that the X10 with a 16MP one-inch sensor would be a dream come true for me and some other folks as well. All-around as well as low-light performance of that sensor (Sony ?) with X-Trans CFA should be pretty darn close to that of late 2012/last years m43 sensors (EM5). Add a faster lens (f2-2.8(or3.5-4)) than that on the RX100(II), EVF, stick with the design, handling and macro capabilities of the X10/20, maybe with a slightly larger grip (battery) and you'd have a dangerous little beast for sure.
Let's wait and see.

Sorry for the hijack - back OT.

Where can I sign up for one? ;-)

Back