24th Serious Compacts Salon Challenge - Impressions! Winner announced!!

Here's the rest of my original post.

davect01- if I look closely, especially at the leaves in the center of the frame, I can detect a subtle, almost pointillist, technique. The colors are not overly saturated and make for a pleasant image.

BillN- this image is very suggestive of an impressionist painting. Your technique, and the way the image is composed, focuses attention on the lady in the white skirt. The fact she is not facing the camera, draws me in all the more. Well done.

dipso- this image immediately grabbed my attention. It probably leans toward the abstract side of Impressionism....not a bad thing. I visualize a semi-truck on the open highway, in the middle of a surreal lightning storm. This is a captivating image.

mnjoj- this is another submission that is quite abstract. The technique, composition and color are all well done and make for a compelling image.

kyteflyer- your comment about getting an unexpected result is so true when camera movement like this is involved. However, the nice thing about digital is we can review the image right away, and either keep it, or shoot another. Practice also make the results much more predictable. I like the subtle colors you've achieved, and the vertical shafts of light break up the image nicely.

Lightmancer- I love your comment "no photoshops were harmed in the making of this picture". It made me smile. The composition and spinning technique you used in making your image, also made me smile.....with admiration. Well done!

Luke- before commenting on your image, I just want to say you are, indeed, a "super moderator" and one of the reasons this is such a good forum. Many thanks for your help! Your image: this is a fun image, made even more so by its title. Does your wife know she's an Octopus woman? The movement, colors, and composition are all effective in conveying the desired impression. I like it!

BruPri- this is another, very effective, abstract impressionist image. The zooming technique, limited colors, and judicious use of dark space all add up to produce a striking image.

donlaw- this is an image that is definitely on the abstract side of things. The leading lines coming from both sides, focus your attention to the right third of the picture.....which is dark space. This is a very interesting image, employing creative use of the rule of thirds.

Bold- here is another very creative image. The angled placement of the girl/young lady and decision to only use the lower half of her body is inspired. The use of curved arcs of light, both in the background, as well as on the skirt/dress is very effective. It all adds up to a very original picture.

MiguelATF- your photo absolutely qualifies! Seeing all the different interpretations in this thread is inspiring. Yours is no exception. The square crop[(or close to it) and placement of the wheelbarrow with apples work well. But, the nicely subdued color and out of focus areas are what make this a very pleasing and, dare I say "impressionist" image. Your image also demonstrates, it's the photographer, not the tool(in this case camera) that's most important.

ReD- I like how you keep after it, ReD. Your final submission(out of 5, if I counted correctly) utilizing a pinhole camera worked out well. The tinting, to me, suggests a cold, snow covered day in the woods. I get a chill just looking at it. However, I must say I liked you first image - "Impressions of Istanbul" best. The vibrant colors. The movement that suggests short quick brush strokes. Not to mention the composition, all add up to make a very good representation of an Impressionist painting, and is what I had in mind when submitting this challenge. As you know, I will not be able to use this image when picking winners.

Woody112704- this last submitted image is certainly one of the most dynamic. Very creative use of zooming and post processing create an arresting image that certainly is in the abstract impressionist arena. Effective use of dark space creates a nice tension and effectively offsets the explosive color that draws the viewers attention.

I will post the winners shortly.

Dave

I had a really hard time picking a winner. I have been so impressed with these submissions. I got it down to eight and was stuck for quite awhile. Finally, knowing I had to make a decision, I narrowed it to two. I've been going back and forth between BruPri's "Downtown Seattle" and BillN's "Lady in the white skirt". I really like both images.

The winner is BillN. Beautiful image, Bill!

Are you sure?

Thanks I never expected it - My wife (much) prefers BruPri's "Downtown Seattle"

Good to see lots of interest - Don would be proud - where is he these days?

Does this mean I have to choose the next subject or it that already taken care of?

Back