Documentary 27 January 2023 Auckland Flooding

Iron

Hall of Famer
Name
Tímo
Hey everyone! You may have heard about the flooding we had here yesterday. It's similar to what happened in Europe before. It's a one-in-250 year event and our infrastructure, like most in the modern West are designed to withstand 1-in-100 year events, depending on climate, of course.

Here is a link to community photos gathered by Radio NZ: In photos: Heavy rain causes flooding, evacuations in Auckland. The link is safe.

I only have a few photos outside when I picked up a family member at the bus station, 2 hours after leaving the city (usually 20mins), as the bus detoured a lot to avoid being converted into a ferry like the others.

I used the 18-55mm WR here.
IMGP2012.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IMGP2020.JPG
IMGP2024.JPG

The hardcore photos are the ones in the link above as they are in low-lying areas/flood plains. My area is elevated and the pooling is still relevant. The North-westerners weren't so lucky. They had street rivers.

Here are some snapshots from my Garmin:
Screenshot from 2023-01-28 18-11-10.png
Screenshot from 2023-01-28 18-11-57.png

Screenshot from 2023-01-28 18-12-16.png
Screenshot from 2023-01-28 18-13-27.png

The traffic was rather quiet and everyone was patient, except for a few younguns with their overland-ready souped-up city-driven 4x4s bullying cars around. As I passed by my route this morning, I noticed a lot of water-damaged cars, including some of those overland-ready 4x4s. Yes, it's going to be expensive realising they are not immune to water damage. They may ride higher but many whose engines got waterlogged had very fast fording speeds. Not a problem, dad's going to pay for them.

Back