Fuji X100 firmware update UPDATE

If they tackle some of the larger issues (for example the ISO menu) Fuji will gain a lot of respect in terms of responding quickly. Of course that does not explain some of the more dopey decisions getting into the final release in the first place.

;)

You know, I was just thinking the same thing. I don't have a problem with anything. Maybe I just don't pay enough attention.

One thing I do notice sometimes is that it doesn't always switch to the electronic viewfinder the first time, if I want to check something. That's about it.

Awwww shucks.... I love my camera....
If they do a firmware update fine...
if not, I'll still love the dopey way it works....

Your dopey admin...no not BB...

Ya know. . . Ya know. . . I was also thinkin' something, (along with BB), just about the same, maybe a word or two different. So lets hope for a very cool update but if not, I'm O.K. with it.
But - I do wish that the Provia and Astia weren't reversed. I'm assuming here that what I've read is valid and they are in fact reversed. ( I was going to say "bass-akwards" but I caught myself.) :rolleyes:
. . . David

I was trying the flash the other day and while it produces the best fill-in flash I've ever seen on a small camera, everything kept going haywire and changing settings, ISO's and other things and I didn't have a clue what was going on.

I had no idea whether I was doing something wrong or the camera was or a combination of both.

Its something I'd like to use more but I'd like to know how to control it. I'd like to feel I was in control of the rest of the camera too. I've used one or two cameras in my time and this is the only one I've had such problems with.

True I haven't used every single function on every single camera I've used but at least with the others I knew that I didn't want to use them. With the Fuji I'm never sure whether some complex series of menu items and button pushing will reveal something wonderful or whether it will explode! I'm all for the serendipity factor but straightforward and boring would be more reassuring.

I'm awaiting the firmware update with interest! If the X100 was a car it would be a Shelby Cobra. Capable of incredible performance but possessing the capacity to do enormous damage to the driver!

It's kinda cute, and very nice how much people love their X100's. I don't have one, but the 20 minutes I have spent with one were seriously interesting and fun.

At the same time, you all have little issues, and it would be good for the health of the brand if these were resolved. The Fuji guys are clearly not dumb (though possibly they need a few more photographers on staff...) and are justifiably proud of the X100. I bet they improve the speed of operation and the niggles over a few updates. Their marketing guys will be thinking not of the X100, but of the next models and of the competition: get on top of this stuff and keep the momentum going.

Good for them for giving the industry a bit of a shake.

If we are getting picky, well then...there is one serious issue with the X100.
Firmware will undoubtably make it worse. Believe me.
I start with a full charged battery and a formatted card.
Then I go out and make photos....
Here's the interesting thing I notice. Not everyone has posted about this because it could become a major issue....
What I notice is that I haven't looked at or used any other camera since I got the X100.
It could become a problem and I'm monitoring the situation closely.

Firmware will make this issue much worse...
Tsk tsk... Whatever shall we do...?

IF Fuji is going to improve only a couple of things, please do the following:

(1) Put auto ISO and ISO control in the same menu!!!!

(2) Allow for the control of ISO using the control stick when using the EVF (as opposed to the jog dial). So dopey that you can use the control stick to change ISO when using OVF but not when using EVF.

If Fuji is going to do one more thing, please ...

(3) Provide one more fully customizable button (I suggest the RAW button).

If we are getting picky, well then...there is one serious issue with the X100.
Firmware will undoubtably make it worse. Believe me.
I start with a full charged battery and a formatted card.
Then I go out and make photos....
Here's the interesting thing I notice. Not everyone has posted about this because it could become a major issue....
What I notice is that I haven't looked at or used any other camera since I got the X100.
It could become a problem and I'm monitoring the situation closely.

Firmware will make this issue much worse...
Tsk tsk... Whatever shall we do...?
:D

I don't have any problems with it as is, but there are definitely a few things I'd like to see improved anyway. I'd say Armando's #1 and #3 are the primary.

And Don, I'm not really lusting after anything out there right now either. BUT, the strengths of my various cameras have allowed me to create my own fictional "perfect camera" . It would more or less be an X100, with a Nex flip up screen and GH2 auto-focus. And, if sensor performance keeps improving, I think I'd like it with an GFD/LX5 sized sensor so I could use it in manual focus almost all the time and just hyperfocus or zone focus the thing into submission when I didn't want to use the GH2 quality AF. Then again, if it had a Nex screen AND great AF AND a silent shutter AND the OVF, I guess I wouldn't ever really need to shoot blindly so the small sensor and manual focus wouldn't add much....

So, no I'm not jonesing for anything at the moment, but someone will build that camera of mine someday and when they do, I will buy it. And if they could do with with interchangeable lenses in 24, 28, and 35mm focal length equivalents, I'd probably sell everything else except the GH2 to have some long lens and zoom capability.

I don't ask for much, really. :D

-Ray

I don't have any problems with it as is, but there are definitely a few things I'd like to see improved anyway. I'd say Armando's #1 and #3 are the primary.

And Don, I'm not really lusting after anything out there right now either. BUT, the strengths of my various cameras have allowed me to create my own fictional "perfect camera" . It would more or less be an X100, with a Nex flip up screen and GH2 auto-focus. And, if sensor performance keeps improving, I think I'd like it with an GFD/LX5 sized sensor so I could use it in manual focus almost all the time and just hyperfocus or zone focus the thing into submission when I didn't want to use the GH2 quality AF. Then again, if it had a Nex screen AND great AF AND a silent shutter AND the OVF, I guess I wouldn't ever really need to shoot blindly so the small sensor and manual focus wouldn't add much....

So, no I'm not jonesing for anything at the moment, but someone will build that camera of mine someday and when they do, I will buy it. And if they could do with with interchangeable lenses in 24, 28, and 35mm focal length equivalents, I'd probably sell everything else except the GH2 to have some long lens and zoom capability.

-Ray

Well, I hope it all comes true.

Over the past few months I have sold off my much loved full frame DSLR and lenses, leaving me with just the GF1 and lenses. I decided I wanted to simplify, and corner myself by having very tight parameters from a gear perspective. I used to have too much choice in available gear, which contributed to a lack of development for me. Now I have had to up my game, and deliberate a bit more over the photography I truly enjoy. I have come to a place where I know that I want a small, interchangeable lens camera with an EVF / OVF, plus a very simple, restrictive even, street camera.

I don't expect one camera to do it all for me, but if Ray's dream comes true it could be pretty close.

Oh - and the other advantage of not having the FF and impressive looking lenses is that I am no longer taken seriously as a photographer by friends / family / neighbours, and don't get asked to do the family special occassion stuff that I don't enjoy. They look at all my prints and ask me if I miss making photos like those - I don't let them know that most of the currently displayed prints are M4/3. :)

Well, I am baptizing mine in the field here in Costa Rica and I agree that there are some dopey things about the menu. I still say, using them both side by side that the GXR is set up better as far as the menu is concerned. Nevertheless, I love the X100, but am fond of the GXR as well. Today the easy access to the movie mode on the NEX also served me well. :yahoo:

May ALL your dreams come true!!

-Ray

Menus are one thing, bugs are another. The X100 is unfortunately "blessed" with more than its fair share. Simple things like it doesn't retain your settings when you switch it back on again. All cameras go through this to a certain extent, and just like computer software, the designers can't anticipate every possible combination that every possible user will put together.

Over time this gets fixed, and hopefully Fuji will fix the worst of these bugs soon. I'm just waiting for the time when I can use it with TOTAL confidence instead of missing shots and having to deal with "Whats it done now?" Its already proved to me just how good it can be and the potential it has.

Ken Rockwell (bless him!) in a really enthusiastic and complementary review writes -
"Who Needs an X100
The X100 is the full-time professional photographers' fun camera.
THe Fuji X100 is a perfect carry-everywhere camera, an ideal backup or candid camera for professional wedding shooters (skin tones are marvelous), great for rich people traveling without help, people who already have bigger cameras and men who just like toys"

Nice to see Ken hasn't lost his taste for seriously annoying people!

However to me it isn't a toy, and its a camera marketed as a "professional" tool. A camera that "crashes" and needs to be turned off and on again doesn't merit that description.

Ken also talks about various workarounds, and there have been a few of them posted, including here. But are "workarounds" good enough for a camera? Particularly one as good as this.

I bought a Nikon 5100 just over 24 hours ago. It took me around 1/2 hour to figure it all out, without looking at the manual. Its simple, its well laid out, the menus are logical and easy to understand. A typical Nikon. By yesterday afternoon I was shooting pictures and video with it. I even managed to shoot the video with manual settings, which half the internet says you can't do. It became a picture making tool for me very quickly and I was able to concentrate on doing what I should, taking pictures, instead of faffing about trying to understand then operate a set of badly designed and poorly implemented menus.

The faster I can get all that out of the way, the more I like a camera, unless as in the case of the X100, its so damn good that I'm prepared to put up with its "quirks" in order to get great results. To that end I also like simplicity. However the X100 is far from simple. There's an awful lot lurking in that small frame, and the more I discover the more I want to use it. However I want it to work properly, and thats the problem with the X100 at the moment. Some may be happy with it as it is, but many aren't, including me.

That Fuji are saying:- 'Fujifilm is planning to release a new version of firmware in the near future. The new firmware will include and respond to some of functionality posted by dpreview.' shows how seriously they take it, and that's good to see. Admit there are faults, fix them, move on.​

Back