Nikon 28mm lenses

mike3996

Hall of Famer
Regarding 28mm f/2.8 lenses for Nikon.

The Series E lens has for whatever reason gained in asking price and is now close towards 100 €. Some of you will say the time for Series E was when these lenses could have had for 50 € or so. A general consensus seems to be that the 28E has the worst value of all the Series E lenses.

As things stand, what separates a 28/2.8E from a quite closely priced 28/2.8D? Some haters claim the compact autofocusing 28 shares the optical design with the cheap series E lens. I may agree that there are optically superior 28mm lenses but I may not necessarily need optical perfection of those lenses.

What is out there anyway?

• 28/1.4E is a modern and fast lens with few flaws but perhaps I'd anticipate a few issues with the size and weight and the possible lack of character with this one.
  • 28/1.4D is a classic as far as I can tell.
  • 28/2.8 AIS is the benchmark performer
  • 28/2 AIS would be my favorite, balanced between the 1.4D looks and the 2.8AIS form. The faster lens would be also faster to focus also.
  • 28/2.8 AF-D
  • 28/2.8 Series E
As a side note, 28mm is an interesting target for me because while my main camera can technically show me 28mm framelines, the framing is hardly as convenient as it could be: the frames are so wide for the 0.68x magnified view.

Why don't I just go for the f/2 lens then if that's my favorite? Maybe I will, but maybe I'll also snatch the 2.8 AF lens. It's a compact lens and would form a nice companion to my 50/1.4D for a leisurely two-lens stroll.

rayvonn

Hall of Famer
Regarding 28mm f/2.8 lenses for Nikon.

The Series E lens has for whatever reason gained in asking price and is now close towards 100 €. Some of you will say the time for Series E was when these lenses could have had for 50 € or so. A general consensus seems to be that the 28E has the worst value of all the Series E lenses.

As things stand, what separates a 28/2.8E from a quite closely priced 28/2.8D? Some haters claim the compact autofocusing 28 shares the optical design with the cheap series E lens. I may agree that there are optically superior 28mm lenses but I may not necessarily need optical perfection of those lenses.

What is out there anyway?

• 28/1.4E is a modern and fast lens with few flaws but perhaps I'd anticipate a few issues with the size and weight and the possible lack of character with this one.
  • 28/1.4D is a classic as far as I can tell.
  • 28/2.8 AIS is the benchmark performer
  • 28/2 AIS would be my favorite, balanced between the 1.4D looks and the 2.8AIS form. The faster lens would be also faster to focus also.
  • 28/2.8 AF-D
  • 28/2.8 Series E
As a side note, 28mm is an interesting target for me because while my main camera can technically show me 28mm framelines, the framing is hardly as convenient as it could be: the frames are so wide for the 0.68x magnified view.

Why don't I just go for the f/2 lens then if that's my favorite? Maybe I will, but maybe I'll also snatch the 2.8 AF lens. It's a compact lens and would form a nice companion to my 50/1.4D for a leisurely two-lens stroll.
I’ve only seen the 28 F2 ai-s out of that lot, fixed to an early Fuji model it, rendered really nice in terms of mono images. This generally means it’ll be just as good on a Nikon. What moves you to the 28mm focal length on a DSLR?

Last edited:

mike3996

Hall of Famer
I’ve only seen the 28 F2 ai-s out of that lot, fixed to an early Fuji model it, rendered really nice in terms of mini images. This generally means it’ll be just as good on a Nikon. What moves you to the 28mm focal length on a DSLR?
With a rangefinder the 28mm frame is getting inconvenient in terms of precise framing. If only there were 0.58x viewfinders for digital Leicas out there. As such I think maybe 28 and the other wides have a place within TTL system cameras. All within reason, of course.

This is my trail of research so far, in mostly chronological order.

What I understand is that 28 f/2.8 AIS has a particularly good design and has corrections for a most excellent close focus, making it a benchmark in that way. But right now, before experiencing a real split prism focusing, I have my reservations about slower wide angles.

So I turned my head to the fastest lenses. 28/1.4E doesn't appeal to me because of its size and I presume its optical formula might be too clinical for my taste. Lucky to me, there's the older 28/1.4D lens that just about everybody loves. These lenses may have dear price tags on them but they're a small fraction of what corresponding Leica glass would cost me. So I regard these prices as manageable, if need be.

I was watching youtube comparisons and reviews of the 28/1.4D, and then in one video the author pitted the speed legend against the f/2 AIS lens. I didn't know much about the f/2 lens before the video. It wasn't on my radar. But in a direct A/B comparison I noticed the f/2 producing just great bokeh, precisely what the doctor ordered (for my symptoms anyway).

Despite this, I think the 28 AF-D is also an interesting prospect, if for nothing else, it's cheap and it complements my other AF-D lenses: 50/1.4 and 85/1.8. Some people would prefer to pair a 50 with 24mm but I'll gladly take 28mm.

The Nikkor 28/2 works for me: is very sharp, much better than the Konica 28/1.8 that sells for twice the amount. I have that lens as well.

The AF-Nikkor 28/2.8 stopped down a little is just fine. It is probably the cheapest Nikkor 28 that you will find.

mike3996

Hall of Famer
Sounds like you're looking for F2.8 or faster.
If not, I've had a few versions of the 28mm 3.5.
Nice sharpness. Pretty good into the sun. Affordable.
Yeah right now I am unsure if I can personally focus these wide angles if they're somewhat dim, that's the reason. Might be that things will improve greatly after my camera is all calibrated and aligned.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom