3 generations - a gift

gryphon1911

Hall of Famer
Name
Andrew
The Gifts.

This was a gift to me, as I was fortunate enough to have walked into the room and saw this scene before me. I had the Fuji X-E3 and 23mm f/2 on a Black Rapid Sport strap hanging off my right hip. I immediately pulled the camera to my eye and there it was, almost perfectly framed for the field of view. I fired off a shot with the camera set at f/4. I took another after changing the aperture to f/8. The f/4 shot was the one. Then the scene changed and subsequent shots just didn't have the same feel.

The real gift is the fact that 3 generations were together, enjoying the day out of the heat. This was at the Cleveland Museum of Art, in the large room just past the Armor Court.

Always take the shot now, as you are never guaranteed the same scene upon return.
Never take anything for granted.
Always give love, but never expect it in return. The reward for loving one another is not an earthly one, but an eternal one.

Have a great week and I hope this image helps put you in a positive mindset!
07-20-2019_XE3_cle_DSCF2123.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Image was only straightened and cropped, SOOC Fuji JPG "standard/Provia".

This was a gift to me
I consider every photo as a gift. I always say that you have to make the effort to bring yourself into situations where you can get lucky enough to receive these gifts.
Always take the shot now, as you are never guaranteed the same scene upon return.
That's one thing I learned quickly enough and which is proven right time after time.

Great photo, really special!

She could be on a device. Or should could be sketching one of the paintings in a sketchbook. That’s what my daughter would be doing.

I agree...and I know what she was doing but chose not to provide that information. Much like I do not think that everything in a movie needs to be spelled out - allowing for some interpretation gives images the ability to transcend the here and now and provide for the possibility of relevance in the future.

That is a very nice image. Well spotted, excellent execution. And I feel people are a bit harsh on the youngest member. She’s obviously an artist in her own right.

I wouldn't necessarily say "harsh"...but since there is room for interpretation, it may not be that far of a stretch to assume that a cellular device is the cause of the apparent "disconnect".

Now that people have had a chance to view the image and formulate opinion, I will state that she was reading a pamphlet card about the museums ArtLens Gallery app. This app has augmented reality features to help you explore the artwork in more detail as well as enjoy some interactive art displays.

Now that people have had a chance to view the image and formulate opinion, I will state that she was reading a pamphlet card about the museums ArtLens Gallery app. This app has augmented reality features to help you explore the artwork in more detail as well as enjoy some interactive art displays.
And that doesn't change the appreciation I have for the photo. A.o. I see a girl immersed in what she's doing on her phone; I can't see what she does in the picture but it's something else than the other two people watching the artwork on the wall, and it's that juxtaposition which makes me look longer at the photo.

Last edited:
And that doesn't change the appreciation I have for the photo. A.o. I see a girl immersed in what's doing on her phone; I can't see what she does in the picture but she's doing something else than the other two people watching the artwork on the wall, and it's that juxtaposition which makes me look longer at the photo.

It is an interesting juxtaposition, but in my mind I think the assumptions of what is going on speak more than what actually was.

She could have been reading literature on the art in the room and discussing it, she could have been sleeping, on her phone, had a sore back.

In 10-20 years, I wonder if people then might have a similar reaction to it. Hard to say until then.

I'm not disparaging anyone for what they got out of or didn't get out of the image... Just making some side observations. 😄

Last edited:
It’s a stunning picture in it’s own right. A serendipitous arrangement of interesting elements in excellent lighting. The fact that it’s your own family gives it a whole different level of special. As for the young one, my interest in art at her age was “less than excellent”. An older mind has the time and focus for such things.

Back