32nd Serious Compacts Salon Challenge - Feel The Noise

Covey22

Hall of Famer
The holiday Monday came and almost went, and I realized I had not yet put up the new Challenge.

Feel The Noise - show us your best photos where you can feel the noise coming from the capture. I've enclosed a few examples, but they're simply guideposts. Stay on the path, or beat a new one!

RIANGAS-2K5-65-Edit-IR-WEB.jpg

GregAbate-Aug-2K7-14-Edit-IR-WEB.jpg

MonsterJamPVD-2K7-06-Edit-IR-WEB.jpg

NPTJZFST-2K5-22-Edit-IR-WEB.jpg

This challenge will run three weeks from today, January 16th, through Monday, February 6th, and end at some point in my timezone (US Eastern or GMT -4). Last minute entries are welcome, we won't look too closely at the time stamp. :D

Da Rules:

1. Either take pictures that match the nominated theme or select some from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the images in order to enter it.

2. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement pictures that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

3. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo-challenge, after all!

4. The winner will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Salon Challenge, and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the SC Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

5. The curator cannot enter his or her own salon.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
Just a gentle reminder that the Salon Challenge closes this coming Monday February 6th! I know it's been tough - a lot of folks have been working on Single in January or other projects, and for the North Americans, this is Superbowl weekend. So take a moment and look through your shots. Weather permitting, I will be on a shoot that Monday so my late return that day will likely preclude me from perusing the date stamps too closely. Hint Hint :D

Aaaaand we are Closed. Ok folks, I'll be taking a look at the candidates and trying to do justice to all these great photos. We'll be back sometime this weekend with the results.

Apologies for the delay folks, real life and a lot of snow got in the way of the important things - like reviewing all these great photos and picking the next Salon winner! Mea Culpa.

View attachment 122786
Fuji X10. I'm thinking now I may have used this one before.

This photo made me smile and remember my younger days when I first visited Universal. The Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular was one of my favorites; an exciting and indeed loud show - between the engines, explosions and sound effects. A great catch!

I have no business being anywhere near hammers, forges, for that matter, any tools, but I am forever fascinated by such workshops. I can definitely hear the melodic ringing as he bends and warps the metal to his will. The tonality is great, and all those shapes behind him just add to the ambience.

Quadrophonic Quadrophenia - how much is too much?
View attachment 122814

A picture is worth a thousand words. His expression is wondrous. And the two headphones - hey - you can never have enough of a good thing I say! The rendering is a great top-off.

Took this a few years ago in Sydney during the Chinese New Year. After the fire dragon dance came the loudest crackers I have ever heard. I manipulated the photo to give the impression of a wall of noise hitting onlookers.

View attachment 122845After the Dragon Dance......firecrackers!m by Pete Tachauer, on Flickr

This is what street photography is about - moments that pass very quickly but are worth the effort to catch them. The post-process effect is an enhancement that is subtle but effective. Love the folks in the foreground plugging their ears!

Drums and fireworks, the loudest show I've ever been to
View attachment 123002Danbor Talka-12 by Paul, on Flickr

There's so many great elements here - the makeup, stances, lighting and yes, indeed, the fortuitous flame behind the center performer's head! All those aspects contribute to the aural impact of the drums.

I've only seen C-17s fly twice - once on a max performance combat landing and takeoff simulating a rough short field. The sheer power of the four Pratt & Whitney PW2000s - it's a rumble that you can feel vibrating you to your soles as the pilot holds back all those horses until he achieves max thrust. Seeing her taking the active like this reminds me exactly of that moment.

I couldn't find a "loud" photo amongst my shots. But my buddy's GTO has a pretty throaty rumble to it when it's not parked like it is here.......
View attachment 123430OOB GTO by Luke, on Flickr

This 3D frame is so inventive - it echos all the great magazine advertisements in the 60s for high performance cars just like this Pontiac. And what a color - I love that green.

The contributions were just outstanding. But as the movie Highlander tagline goes "There can be only one."

First, the runners up:

21755643902_44a5e00af7_b.jpg

There's definitely a primal, primitive feel to this photo - and drums certainly have played an anthropological role throughout history as both a means of communication and art. It's also a noise that instinctively we all know and understand. Well done @P.H

12245304435_9b1142bd6c_h.jpg

A "Wall of Noise" indeed - this is how post-process really helps invoke a sense of feeling and involves the viewer, brings them into the photo. Those expressions are outstanding. Good balance of a field capture and subtle enhancement @Petach

View attachment 123723

It was tough picking just one, but "Quadrophonic Quadrophenia" stood out by it's expressiveness. It's elementally very stark, but at the same time full of nuances. The headsets, the hand movements - it draws you in, makes you wonder what he's listening to, and it certainly evokes a feeling of the noise, the sounds that only he can hear. Congratulations Don @donlaw !

Back