Leica 35 or 50? Or something else?

Armanius

Bring Jack back!
Name
Jack
What's your favorite M lens focal length? It seems like 35 or 50 are the favorite focal lengths for M users. Although 24 or 28 is very popular for M8 and M8.2 users. My personal favorite is 35. To me, it's a little bit more versatile than 50. I use a CV Nokton 35/1.4, which is pretty nice and small. Sure wish I could have a 35 FLE though.

In terms of focal length "equivalents", I enjoy both 35 and 50 a lot. 28mm also.

I think the wider focal lengths (28 or 35) give me a better "keeper" rate, but when I get a good one with the 50, it's tends to be better than the average good one I get with the 35. Don't know if that makes sense, but it seems that way to me, and I've read comments by others to the same effect.

These days I'm using the Voigtlander 28/2.0 more than any other lens on my M8, and it functions like a 35mm (nominally should be like a 37mm) on that body.

I'm a 50mm guy. I've been through a few 35's but they don't stick. The latest is a 35mm 1.2 Nokton, which is a great lens. I have to exchange mine and I'm seriously thinking of getting a 28mm instead.

But my 50 will always stay with me.

Gordon

I totally know what you mean Amin! I feel the same way. My theory is the shallower DOF in 50. A little harder to nail MF. But can be magical on certain types of photos with the subject/background separation plus actual distance to subject.

I'm a 50 man, through and through. My favourites are the 5cm Elmar 3.5 in LTM, the 50mm Elmar-M 2.8 and the 50mm Zeiss Sonnar 1.5

Regards,

Bill

Sent from another Galaxy

If I could only have one lens it would be a 35mm. Add a 50 and a 28 and I'm all set. Never warmed up to longer lenses other than for the occasional portrait. A 21 is fun on occasion as well.

-Thomas

50 for me.

It's versatile, I could be very happy with a single ultra-fast 50 if that's all I could have, and that's all I had for the first two years of my ownership of the Leica M8.2. (NB. it was a Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4, giving me a 50mm equivalent.)

Interesting thread!

I never had a fixed 50mm focal length when I was using a Nikon DSLR until now. I had a 35mm F/2 AFD but sold it.

I never had also a 50mm equivalent on the Micro 4/3s, the closest was the 20mm 1.7 which I love BTW.

So having used the 20mm 1.7 extensively, I know I can live by either a 35mm or a 50mm.

So since I haven't had a 50mm in my bag... I decided to get a 50mm for my rangefinder. No regrets.

IMHO, either the 35mm and 50mm can serve as one-lens solution.

when I can only carry one lens ... it has to be the pre-A 35 'Lux

I have a 50 also (Canon LTM 50/1.2) but I always have this tendency to grab the 35 'Lux of the dry-box. Not that I do not love my Canon LTM 50/1.2, I think it has to do with how the 35 'Lux operates. Seriously I can focus faster and more accurate with the 'Lux

That's a very difficult choice. I love the way 50's render on the M9, including the Summicron, the Zeiss Sonnar, and the Voigtlander Heliar f3.5. But I often find myself wanting something wider, so the Noktons (f1.4 and f1.2) get a lot of camera time, too.

I find myself using a 50 for indoor and street portraits, and a 35 for more environmental or general purpose shooting. If I want to pick out a subject, it's a 50. If I want to compose with the all the image elements, I use a 35. 35's can be great for environmental portraits, too.

I too prefer the 50 FOV. I believe a rangefinder shooter should have at least one fast lens in their bag. And in my opinion it would be the 50 and the 35 would be next. I feel if I want to go wider I don't necessarily need a fast wide and could get by with a f/2 or slower. But I want one lens in the bag faster than f/2.

I also prefer a 50mm. But with the 1.3 crop factor of my M8.2, that is a narrower field of view than a 50mm on a full frame camera. That narrower field of view fits me just right. If I want more environment, I choose a 25mm. On a recent vacation, I used a 25mm, a 50mm, and a 75mm. That combination worked very well. The majority of the images were made with the 50mm.

50 for me. I have a summaron 35 at the moment I am playing with too but am considering getting rid of it in favour of a 35-70 zoom for my R body for versatility. I'm just not into wide angles so for me 35 is as wide as I go.

Tough choice. I like working with a 50 best, but for travel I'd probably go with the 35 if limited to one. For my upcoming trip I'll probably leave the 50 on the camera and put the 28 in my pocket (that Elmarit ASPH is TINY).

Back