Fuji 35mm 1.2 WR?

Bobby T

Out Of Nowhere
This caught my eye at the end of the X-Pro2 video on Fuji Rumors

i-gLmPqWW-L.jpg

Now if Mr Fujisan wants to remake the 35 f1.4 with blazing-fast internal focus and a max 1.2 aperture, then...awesome. But I think this is just the current 35 f2.

I think we are more likely to see a new 23mm in the near future - an f2.0 WR - now that would be most welcome. The current 23 is beautiful but just too big and too heavy for me and my usage, particularly now I have the X100T.

I've always wondered if Fuji would do an f2 version of the 23mm. Or be worried it would cut into the x100 line's sales.

That's a prime (sorry) reason why I think they haven't. However, I think that we may be seeing a filling out of the range in the next 12-18 months; they have covered most of the bases now, both zoom and prime, so I am expecting reformulations of some of the earlier and "weaker" lenses (I'm looking at you, 18 and 60mm...) as well as the 35 1.4 - weatherproofing is almost certain to feature on each new lens except the cheapest. A lightweight 23 would make sense; Leica have done it for years with the Summicrons and Summiluxes.

TBH, it's the next thing I'll sell, in terms of how little I use it. I'm only hanging on to see how it performs on the X-Pro2. I've already sold my 18 ("rendered surplus to requirements" in focal length terms by my GR and by both the 18-55 and 18-135) and 55-200 (in anticipation of the 100-400). I have no need or desire for the fast zooms (they don't play nice with the "rangefinder" form factor) and the 120 macro doesn't appeal. Otherwise right now I am very happy with 14, 18-55, 18-135, 27, 35x2, 56, 90 and 50-230.

I've always wondered if Fuji would do an f2 version of the 23mm. Or be worried it would cut into the x100 line's sales.
That's what I've thought as well for some time. If there's one lens I'd want more than any other it'd be a 23mm/f2 pancake for the X-Pro1.
Heck, what's going on in their minds, bringing out a camera with a sophisticated optical/hybrid VF and withholding one of the two classic focal lengths that gives such a viewfinder a raison d'etre in the first place?
I really don't get it. There isn't even a need to re-invent the wheel since the 23mm/f2 on the X100's is one great little performer already. Add some environmental sealing, throw in a lens shade, ask 500€ for that baby and sell them like hot bread. They can move on with the X100xyz for those folks who want a smaller camera and/or don't need to exchange lenses. Everybody happy, where's the 'problem'?

TBH, it's the next thing I'll sell, in terms of how little I use it. I'm only hanging on to see how it performs on the X-Pro2. I've already sold my 18 ("rendered surplus to requirements" in focal length terms by my GR and by both the 18-55 and 18-135) and 55-200 (in anticipation of the 100-400). I have no need or desire for the fast zooms (they don't play nice with the "rangefinder" form factor) and the 120 macro doesn't appeal. Otherwise right now I am very happy with 14, 18-55, 18-135, 27, 35x2, 56, 90 and 50-230.

This gets me thinking about what I really need.. from the X-T1 perspective.. and it really does fall to that one fast wide-ish lens for night work, and a really light pocket kit.

A 35 1.2 would be nice.. but it would be huge..

This gets me thinking about what I really need.. from the X-T1 perspective.. and it really does fall to that one fast wide-ish lens for night work, and a really light pocket kit.

A 35 1.2 would be nice.. but it would be huge..

If I'm heading out and want something tiny, it's the 27 pancake. If it's gonna be dark out ... I have trouble answering that question. The 23 is the best overall focal length for "everything," but it's YUGE. The 35 is smaller, and I love the rugged metal square hood, I just wish it focused faster sometimes. If the 18 f2 had been of better quality, that might've been THE do-it-all small lens.

If I'm heading out and want something tiny, it's the 27 pancake. If it's gonna be dark out ... I have trouble answering that question. The 23 is the best overall focal length for "everything," but it's YUGE. The 35 is smaller, and I love the rugged metal square hood, I just wish it focused faster sometimes. If the 18 f2 had been of better quality, that might've been THE do-it-all small lens.

And the focusing distance complicates that as well for me. I'll be using the 10-24 a lot, but there will be times I want something brighter.

I think the formula for the 35mm f/2.0 WR should be repeated throughout Fuji's lens range - at least from 18mm through 60mm. But that doesn't preclude them from putting out faster and/or sealed versions of their larger glass in that same range. Personally, I'd be buying the smaller glass with WR, even if it's somewhat slower.

...that's 'cos I just bought his last one a couple of minutes after my last post... :D

There are more out there. I just ordered one here:

FUJIFILM X mount filter lens black XM-FL Black japan New

Last edited by a moderator:
Back