Leica 35mm f/2.5 Summarit-M

Great contrast and composition.

The first shot- "the kind of nightmare that every image compression algorithm has late at night".

Every time I find some extra money in my pocket and think about getting a "better" 35 I shoot with the Summarit and change my mind. The only downside is speed, and compared to a Summicron its just not enough speed to matter.

When optimizing lenses, I could look at the file size of a JPEG and know if it was close.

How does that work? Is there a target size for MM files? I most often use Silver Efex for JPEG compression at 240 bits. From what my eyes tell me my lenses are all focusing accurately on my camera. Is there something other than focus that is typically optimized like centering?

Other than my Sonnar, the rest of my lenses are all new and modern (four Leica, one Zeiss), I would imagine that neither of those companies let too many slip through the production line with alignment or centering issues.

For a set target: the file will be larger based on more detail in the photo. So- choose a good target, best focus will produce a bigger file. This works for focus tests. For example: a flat fence slat. Better the focus, more detail, larger file. I used to write my own image compression algorithms, long before Photoshop and JPEG were out.

Just arrived today at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri for 2 weeks military training. I was at this same base 29-years-ago for Basic Combat Training and stayed in the old WWII barracks.

They still have one company area preserved and restored, but they were nowhere near as nice when I stayed in them.

Leica M9 with 35mm f/2.5 Summarit-M at f/8 and ISO 160, minimal post.

13898496837_d373927d48_h.jpg
L1001813.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

14085101585_8c17082153_h.jpg
L1001814.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

I hear there's some barrel distortion - easily corrected in an M9 or on the PC - although I wonder how the lens performs for film shooters who don't have a digital workflow.
This could be a sleeper cult lens but it'll probably be a hit only long after Leica has discontinued it. There currently are many other alternatives in the same price range or lower (e.g. Biogon, CV SKopar, Hexanon M and L, old LTM lenses)

Uncorrected barrel distortion is probably going to be the norm for lens design since it's so much easier to correct in software than doing it optically.

Back