Fuji 35mm f1.4 on an X-T1 whines when it focuses. Is that normal

David Bennett

Name
David Bennett
I played with an X-T1 and 35mm f1.4. When I changed subject from near to far, the camera sounded quite noisy as it was finding focus. I don't mean that there was a problem with the camera - it found focus fast and accurately - just the internal noise of the refocusing is noticeable. Of course, I have my eye up to the EVF, so I am right up against the camera - but my Nikon is super silent all the way through operation except for the mirror slap, so I wonder about the noise from the Fuji.

Is that noise normal?

Is the X-T1 noisy with all lenses?

Thanks,

My X-T1 has a soft whir when using the 50-230, but I haven't noticed it with the 23mm WR. It's not what I would consider noisy, and I doubt anyone standing more than a foot or two from me would hear it. I just thought it was the lens's OIS, because the IBIS in my early Olympus E-M5 was similarly audible up close.

Hi David

Is your firmware up to date? My copy used to make that whirring noise out of the box, but was limited to AF-C after a firmware upgrade. The following firmware upgrade fixed that problem as well.

The 35mm f1.4 is one of the original three Fuji lenses and it is noted for being a little noisy and slow when it focuses but the IQ on the 35mm f1.4 is still superb.

Absolutely normal on the 35 f1.4. It's not the camera, it's the design of the focus motors. It chitters and talks to me, like a little R2D2. The images are so good I've come to even like the sound... means goodness is coming soon to an SD card near me.

Back