Leica 35mm woes

mike3996

Legend
Just after having a lust after the revised Cosina design, the Voigtländer 35 Nokton Classic f/1.4 II (promised to fix the focus shift problems and it did), they now announce there's a new Voigtländer 35 Nokton f/1.2 III coming!

Now, like many I didn't really care for the 35 f/1.2 because it's a big hulking lens. Now they have done some big magic and come up with a 9/7 element design that is very compact and weighs only the same as Leica 35 FLE.

And ... neither I don't really need. My Leica 35 Summicron is good. More than good. But still... 35 f/1.2. 😵

So compact. The previous model is 470 grams and 10/7 elements; this manages to shave it down to 332 grams and 9/7 elements.

vm-35mm F1.2

Focal length: 35mm
Aperture ratio: 1: 1.2
Minimum aperture: F22
Lens construction: 9 elements in 7 groups
Angle of view: 61.53 °
Number of aperture blades: 12
Minimum focusing distance: 0.5m
Rangefinder coupled: ∞ to 0.7m (depending on camera)
Maximum diameter x Overall length: 60.8 x 50.5mm
Filter size : 52mm
Weight: 332g
Lens hood: Bayonet type (sold separately: LH-8)

Suggested retail price: 135,000 yen (excluding tax)
Optional hood (LH-8) Suggested retail price: 12,000 yen (excluding tax)

Much smaller and lighter than the previous versions while promising the same level of optical quality, which will be very welcomed.
Mounted on the camera:
11_l.jpg
12_l.jpg

Last edited:
That's very impressive; it makes the new 35mm f/1.2 III lighter than the Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 Distagon, a lens I own and love, but rarely use because I find it a tad (yes, just a bit) too bulky for everyday use. The Distagon, while not being a lot heavier (381g), feels a bit long (nose-heavy) - the same goes (to a lesser extend) for the Voigtländer 35mm f/1.7 Ultron (330g in brass/chrome - that's the version I own). The new lens appears to be shorter, more compact, quite like the 50mm f/1.2 ... intriguing.

If the performance of the 50mm f/1.2 Nokton is anything to go by, this may well represent fantastic value. Maybe even worth parting with one or even both of the aforementioned lenses ...

M.

Wait until the performance numbers are in- if they match performance of the earlier model with reduced element count, will be interesting. If the performance across the frame does not meet the earlier ones, then it's a trade-off.

There is no FLE (Floating Lens Element) with the CV 1.2 lenses vs ZM 35mm 1.4...

That's very impressive; it makes the new 35mm f/1.2 III lighter than the Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 Distagon, a lens I own and love, but rarely use because I find it a tad (yes, just a bit) too bulky for everyday use. The Distagon, while not being a lot heavier (381g), feels a bit long (nose-heavy) - the same goes (to a lesser extend) for the Voigtländer 35mm f/1.7 Ultron (330g in brass/chrome - that's the version I own). The new lens appears to be shorter, more compact, quite like the 50mm f/1.2 ... intriguing.

If the performance of the 50mm f/1.2 Nokton is anything to go by, this may well represent fantastic value. Maybe even worth parting with one or even both of the aforementioned lenses ...

M.

There is no FLE (Floating Lens Element) with the CV 1.2 lenses vs ZM 35mm 1.4...
Looking at the description, I'm fully aware that the Nokton III won't be as near perfect as the Distagon; but if it gets close while being less unwieldy, that's good enough for me.

That said, the Distagon is a fabulous lens - probably my best choice for reportage and environmental portraiture ... Not that I get to do those things on a regular basis.

However, the Distagon is also the only lens that more or less necessitates the use of the additional grip on the M10. Not even the Elmarit M 90mm f/2.8 needs that ...

M.

It might be a big departure from 35/1.2 ver II but I have a good feeling this third iteration will be a big pleaser of the "sharp & characterful" crowd. Besides, if the new design was clearly worse than II then I doubt they'd kept it in the same product line.

Just after having a lust after the revised Cosina design, the Voigtländer 35 Nokton Classic f/1.4 II (promised to fix the focus shift problems and it did), they now announce there's a new Voigtländer 35 Nokton f/1.2 III coming!

Now, like many I didn't really care for the 35 f/1.2 because it's a big hulking lens. Now they have done some big magic and come up with a 9/7 element design that is very compact and weighs only the same as Leica 35 FLE.

And ... neither I don't really need. My Leica 35 Summicron is good. More than good. But still... 35 f/1.2. 😵

So compact. The previous model is 470 grams and 10/7 elements; this manages to shave it down to 332 grams and 9/7 elements.
Never owned any Leicas, but I do appreciate the unadulterated lens lust on display in the OP.

Back