Leica Showcase 7Artisans 50mm F1.1 M-Mount lens

Brian

Product of the Fifties
I like it. I've been using it exclusively on the M Monochrom, mostly with a Y2 filter. Latest round of shots- use a 58mm vented hood with 55->58 step-up ring. This eliminated the vignetting that I experiences with the 55mm filter+hood. I will buy some 58mm color filters for use in the future, or dig around in my closet....

Nikki and I went to the Udvar Hazy Air and Space Museum today. You've seen examples from my other trips there.

Wide-Open, focus and frame. Focus on the Tip.

35961120271_f1313a54c7_b.jpg
Udvar Hazy Museum, Wide-Open
by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

just to show repeatability with the RF...

35961127251_e15abc1939_b.jpg

1.25x magnifier, Chinese eyepiece that cost me $50.

Can't guess the plane?

35961122371_e60000b3cc_b.jpg

Plane and a Flare Test.

Stopped down to F1.5:

35961122101_fc63c4dc04_b.jpg
Udvar Hazy Museum, F1.5

Last edited by a moderator:
Wide-Open,

35961125421_954f8e5386_b.jpg

at F1.5.

35961119751_d28003870d_b.jpg
Udvar Hazy Museum, F1.5

I've read a number of negative comments regarding this lens- some "bleeding edge" problems with a new product from a new company; some user problems with people not used to such a fast lens; some from those that have not tried the lens.

I Like this lens. What would I change? Make the focus throw longer, use a 58mm filter ring. The latter is easy enough to change out using the 55->58 ring for all of $2. The short focus throw- takes some practice.

These are all very useful findings for us, Brian. Thanks for testing the lens. I am still waiting for my lens to arrive from China. "Your mail destination is far away". "It will be safe and quick." Oh well.

I paid more for mine- but chose an Ebay dealer with 100% feedbback rating. It was here when he said it would be, but was almost 2 weeks. 5 days was getting the lens from the factory, which was stated up front.

I decided to bring the M Monochrom with this lens, 50/1.1 Nokton, and C-Sonnar on Vacation. Will have the Df for color shots, 55/1.2 Ai, 200/4 Ai, 85/1.8 Ai'd, and 35/2 Nikkor-O Ai'd. I spend more time picking and choosing camera gear for vacation than Nina spends with clothing.

I'm noting that delivery time from the Hong Kong based seller has now increased to more than 39 business days. Mine was delivered in 2 weeks, was through customs within hours.

I suspect there was more demand for this lens, and that it must be revised for the M4 and (maybe) some other M-Mount film cameras.

Check with the seller before purchasing. I'm happy to have mine in hand.

Brian, great images!

Mine is finally in LA ICS, shipped from the seller on June 29. Normally I get them thru NY ICS. When I ordered the 25mm 1.8 thru ebay, it took 5 weeks, but it was during Christmas holidays so I thought there was a backlog. I guess the cheaper shipping option might be the reason...

Considering that the Hong Kong based seller that I bought from stated 5 working days before the shipment would go out: sounds reasonable.
The factory has to revise the design, so if the first batch is sold out, there will be a delay as the revised design is implemented and tested.
Someone lend them an M4 and M3DS please...

This lens costs in Germany Euro399.
One person posted online that after sending payment, the seller then suddenly claims that there are customs problems and that the lens may be returned to China ... etc. Other sellers are raising the price by $100.

Likewise- I'm happy to be an early adopter and have the lens in hand.

This satisfies my desire for a super-speed "faster than F1.4" Sonnar.

I will try to find adapters to use some SLR lenses on the borrowed M240 while I still have it.
The micro 55/3.5 Nikkor is a classic. Once I get the 7artisans lens I want to use it on the M9 and the M240.

Back