Film Best Olympus XA?

I've been hankering after an XA for a while. Prices for the original rangefinder model are getting silly - are the zone focus models still good? I imagine the lens is the same, isn't it?

They are getting ridiculous! In fact a lot of film cameras are getting outrageous now on Ebay, the other day I happened to be looking at an XA, and saw the price of a Fuji GW690 for twice of what I paid for mine, glad I got it when I did!

Film is the only option for truly pocketable full-frame. Bonus - weather sealing on the mju. It'll barely bulge in pockets too (jacket, shirt, trousers or jeans). Try that with an RX1 :)

I have the XA, the XA2 and XA3. I dont’t recomend the XA3 due to DX coding being a bit limiting to adjust exposure by changing the ASA. I like the XA2 but is easy to miss focus and the viewfinder is small. Bought the XA again recently (not for me originally) and will give a second opportunity. The problem for me is that everything is so small for such a camera, especially viewfinder and focus lever.

I also have a mju ii, but I’m never sure where it focus...

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the XA's lens - it's sharp, but somewhat veiled and flat compared to what the Minox GT-E's Minoxar can provide. That said, the XA *is* a technological marvel, a work of art, and if you shoot mainly black and white with a contrasty film, you'll be absolutely fine; for colour, Fuji will be your friend (or Kodak Ektar - but that can get a magenta cast ...). And who knows, maybe my camera (used previously by a heavy smoker - my father ...) may be the odd one out ...

M.

It seems even the XA2 is now getting expensive (upwards of £60 for a decent one). Still, I really fancy the idea of such a compact device. I may sell a couple of my other cameras which don’t get any use to fund it.

It seems even the XA2 is now getting expensive (upwards of £60 for a decent one). Still, I really fancy the idea of such a compact device. I may sell a couple of my other cameras which don’t get any use to fund it.

I did sell a very good condition, with box and flash for GBP 60 + posting very recently. If the camera is really assured to be in good working condition, I believe the price is fair. The XA itself has been getting more expensive since the mju ii is now crazy expensive and the XA is a natural alternative. I've sold a very good condition mju ii a couple of years ago (Dec'15) for 50 Eur... :mad:

Back