43rd SC challenge - Splash! Winner announced!

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Name
Martin Connolly
After a week strolling on the beaches of North Cornwall, I returned home to find that the cold water tank in the attic had leaked and brought down part of the bathroom ceiling... so I figured a watery theme was apposite. Let’s see either literal or figurative interpretations.

The rules:
The challenge will run for two weeks and close on the 13th of October at 10 PM British Summer time (5pm US eastern). I'll give warning/reminders closer to the date.

1. Either take pictures that match the nominated theme or select some from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the images in order to enter it.

2. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement pictures that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

3. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo-challenge, after all!

4. The winner will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Salon Challenge, and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the SC Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

5. The curator cannot enter his or her own salon

This was taken on a wet, rainy day, on my local bicycle path. The subject had wandered away from his native habitat - a nearby pond - and was crossing the metaphorical street, in this case a narrow pedestrian and bike lane. A dangerous activity. And though he was on dry land, for me...he was definitely making a splash.

Bike-Path Toad.jpg

OK folks, the challenge will be closed to new entries at 10pm UK time. I shall cogitate and deliberate over the weekend and I’ll announce the winner by Sunday evening. Enjoy the weekend everyone.

Last edited:
OK everyone, this was a very close run affair. Loads of good entries. I find it hard to make my comments sound different!!
MiguelATF - great lighting, wonderful damp mood
drd1135 - I'm pleased to say the bathroom was never that bad!
kyteflyer - well captured, and I like the colour of the rock
Jock Elliott - lovely detail and light, full of energy
Aushiker - makes you fear the imminent crunch (and splash!)
davect01 - superb timing, although there is no splash shown, it's the first thing that comes to mind when you see this
Petach - classical shot, very well done
ricks - unusual crop, but effective
rayvonn - great atmosphere, I like the B/W treatment
grebeman - really good capture, well timed and composed
donlaw - wow, excellent detail, makes you want to run for cover!
Les Klein - well timed capture
Covey22 - another good anticipatory image, timed to perfection

So lots of good entries there but the one that really did it for me was davect01. There's so much to like about this. I noticed the relative calm of the pool and the pure kinetic energy of the girl plummeting towards it. You can really imagine that big splash as she hits the pool. And you wonder where is the girl coming from? Has she dropped out of the sky? All in all a good challenge, but well done Dave and over to you

Back