Fuji SSD and Lightroom

Name
Tim Williams
In an attempt to make Lightroom more tolerable I'm having my IT department ( son in law ) install a 500 GB SSD drive. Don't know if this will have an affect on the actual program speed or not, but the computer will get me to the slow ass program faster. Geez :doh: Lol.

Lightroom NEEDS an SSD drive. Think about it - you never have to save your work in Lightroom, Why? Because Lightroom save to the hard drive every move you make. So writing to the hard drive 90% of the time. The faster the hard drive the faster the software.

I have a 12" Macbook Air 1.6 GHz processor, 8 Gig RAM, and 128 Gig SSD drive. I slap a 1T SSD external drive on it and it Lightroom flies. No complaints here, I believe you will love the SSD drive.

I second, or third, whatever, that a SSD drive will make a huge difference in LR performance. Adobe made a lot of improvements for speed in the most recent update to LR. So if you haven’t upgraded LR, you may want to.

I also second using a SSD for Lightroom.

I recently took things a step further, buying a motherboard that has two M.2 SSD slots, as per a recommended PC configuration in PhotographyLife.com. The M.2 SSDs attach directly to the motherboard and look more like thick RAM. The better M.2 SSDs (Samsung EVO Pros) are several times faster than the fastest SATA 6.0 SSDs.

I loaded Win10 and just Lightroom and a few frequently used apps on the M.2 512 GB SSD, everything else is installed to the 3 TB hard drive ("D" drive). Results are excellent, Windows fully boots from a cold start in 3 seconds, Lightroom is much, much improved. Batch processing imported RAW files takes a fraction of the former time (using a good hard drive).

Good Luck!

I’m a windows user...

I’ve only ever had LR 6 on a SSD drive, and it’s quite painful to open, so I hate to think what it would be like on a mechanical disk

I think some apps work better on mac tbh... a buddy of mine built a dual boot hackbook and windows 10 desktop and LR on the Mac OS was far superior to the windows one, yet others (SilkyPix Pro) were better on windows

Back