47th Challenge - Panorama.

bilzmale

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill Shinnick
I would like to set this final challenge for 2017 as "Panorama".

Panoramic photography has been an interest of mine for many years and I've spent $$$$$ on hardware and software over that time. Today the ability to stitch images into a panorama is quite ubiquitous and is built into software like Lightroom, Photoshop, On1 RAW and no doubt others. Many current cameras will actually stitch in body and do a good job with no input from the user.

This Challenge will run or the usual 2 weeks and close on Dec 30 2017.

Feel free to use as much or as little hard/software as you are comfortable with (including in-camera stitches).

I will be judging on the final image rather than the process but I suggest you take this opportunity to explore new options.

Last edited:
I love panoramic aspect ratios (although panoramas can, of course, have very different aspect ratios than the wide/low ratios they're mostcommonly associated with). Cool theme!

Teton View1.jpg

To me, that's just as valid a panorama as anything else, Sue. Panoramas are all about that wrap-around experience , and anything that lends itself to that end qualifies as a panorama to me.

Wow thanks to rayvonn, Don, Doug, Bill P, Sue, bart and dave for your prompt entries and there are some real crackers there.
Because of the good early response I have decided to revert to a 2 week challenge closing on Dec 30.

Just repeating the 47th challenge will close on Dec 30.

I definitely have to learn how that panorama thing works on one of my cameras. :blush:
Update: the Fuji x70 has an in camera panorama mode. (No joy on the Olympus bodies). Time to play!

Last edited:
A few years ago, I was working on a MS degree in Physical and Applied Science, with an emphasis on geobiophysical modeling. I had a model aircraft set up to fly preset waypoints as a near IR converted Nikon P&S snapped images at programmed intervals. The camera was set up for a nadir, or straight down, view. I stitched quite a few images together, and used ArcGIS to register them to waypoints I had walked out on the ground. I was using rather unsophisticated gear, but the process was still reasonably accurate. Here's one of the composites I made, covering about 10 acres viewed from about 500 feet.

TVA_03-10-12_NIR_pano.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Another 6 entries - thanks Michael T, Martin, Pete, Steve, Tony and Michael J.

Think I need to set up a judging spreadsheet to keep track of the entries - plentiful and good efforts all.

Back