48th SC Photo Challenge - Shadows & Shapes - winner announced

donlaw

Legend
Name
Don
As we begin the 2018 my thoughts are reflecting on what I really enjoy about photography.
How I got hooked in the first place. One of the first aspects of photography that pulled me in were the B&W films and how they can emphasize both shadow and shape. So this first challenge of the new year will be Shadow & Shapes. That doesn't mean that entries need to be B&W. Freely interpret the theme. For those of you in the Single in January challenge, maybe use this theme for one of your images. For this period cross posting to this thread is allowed.

The Challenge will run for two weeks from today the first of January 2018 until Jan. 14, 2018.

All the usual Challenge RULES will apply, including:

1. Either take pictures that match the nominated theme or select some from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the images in order to enter it.

2. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement pictures that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

3. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo-challenge, after all!

4. The winner will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Challenge, and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the SC Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

5. The curator cannot enter his or her own salon

Looking forward to a seeing lots of particpation.

From my bike ride this morning. A frozen waterfall with light and shadows dancing about.
DSCF1067-1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have always liked this shot. This was Brick Lane in East London. This is the shadow of a woman climbing out of a shopping cart/trolley. Why she was in there? Who knows? Anyway, a few of us took some shots of her in the basket then I saw her shadow on the brick wall, loved the shape and the curve of the white painted lines matched the roundness of the female form.

6911641569_5c708e7e50_b.jpg
model_1_shadow
by Pete Tachauer, on Flickr

Wow! I am at a loss for words given such a remarkable and diverse set of submissions. This has to be the best I have seen from these challenges, and that is saying a lot because the submissions in all the challenges here frequently amaze me. Everyone of these deserve to be singled out as a winner. Thanks to all of you! I don't have enough time to do justice to reviewing each, so I have given some thoughts on my first impressions of each.

Michealj: I love the rhythm and abstraction in this image. Very strong composition.

Bobby Tingle: Another very strong image full of rhythm and contrast. Powerful with a sense of mystery.

tonyturly: This has such a wonderful light and a classic subject matter. Makes me feel cold just looking at it.

theoldsmithy: Very strong composition and right on target for abstractness.

christylou: Fantastic image with a great quality of light and timelessness to it!

rayvonn: This image is classic, with mystery to spare. Strong lines and shapes.

noseconds: Great landscape or i should say cloudscape. This looks dreamy and I like the way the foreground is blurred. Something that doesn't always work in photos.

blizmale: Great silhouette and makes be wish for a sunny afternoon in the tropics. Nice light too.

lakemcd: Very strong use of shape and reflection. This has mysterious almost surrealistic quality that appeals to me.

ricks: Great use of effects here that adds mystery and makes me curious about the technique. Nice.

emerson: Classic setting. Great light. This image could be on my wall.

Petach: Great shadow. Lots of mystery and a bit of tension too. Looks like a still from 'the elephant man'.

ddr1135: Really wild shadows here. Great capture and nice tone too.

All winners, and yet I have to choose... Martin you are the winner! I love the lines in perpendicular angles combined with the curve. Plus the dirty texture. A really standout amongst standouts! Thanks again for all the submissions and I pass the honor of hosting the next challenge to you.

Last edited:
Back