Film 4x5 Image Thread

Lawrence A.

Hall of Famer
Name
Larry
url]
Concord%20woods%20-%20Copy-X2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I haven't seen any large format yet, and I know there must be people who shoot or have shot sheet film in 4x5 and larger. My best time as a photographer was shooting 4x5 black and white film, so much so that I am seriously considering getting another 4x5 with a couple of lenses. I have the rest of what I need, including good holders for up to 80 sheets of film, and an enlarger and lens to print the negatives. So what am I waiting for? I have to decide what to sell to finance the jump back into a way of shooting that gave me enormous pleasure and satisfaction.

This shot was taken in Concord MA in woods that always gave me at least one good photo. Naturally, I came to love the place. HP was my film, as it almost always was, and the negative was developed in two baths - a 1:15 solution (from stock) of HC110, soaked with light agitation for a minute, then let to sit in a kodalk bath, where the shadows developed more fully than the highlights. Then repeat. Rather than mix pyro for a compensating develper, I tried this method to restrain the highlights in the forest scene and bring the scene as experience into scale. If I remember the negative printed nicely on Grade 3 Portriga of late lamented memory.

Back