50mm compact?

Good thing is there are lots of 50mm choices that are adaptable to that. QUOTE]

This is one thing I keep thinking about. Imagine the MF legacy 135mm lenses, 50mm lenses and 28mm lenses that suddenly are useful again. I hope Sony has the brains to make the camera as photography-friendly as possible. SS and EV dial, in built VF. Focus peaking/easy focus magnification. IBIS. Even with Sony's history of slow lens releases on NEX, you might not need them right away with all the good legacy glass.

A point made today on a different forum about the ff Nex and Leica lenses...after thinking about what the user said, I have to agree w/ him...

He basically said that the nex7 was not good w/ certain wide angle legacy lenses... That Sony is not going to do something special to handle the issue w/ micro lenses that Leica did.. They are out to sell their af lenses and if the old rf based lenses happen to work then great.

While the nex5n, 5r and nex6 w/ the 16mp sensor had no problem, I was never sure if this was just happen chance. Anyway, the nex7 was fine w/ lenses from 50 on up and usually of w/ 35 but below 35 it really depended on the lens is the way I remember it.

Until Sony releases the new ff body, hard to tell which way the dice will roll here, but the made point is not to get your hopes up if u like wide angle lenses...

Gary

Leica lenses have a short flange-back. DSLR lense w/adapter do not, and may not need the mirco lenses.

having said that, I saw some pretty convincing proof of some slightly better micro lenses on the 5n vs 5, back when the 5n came out.

Interesting thread. I very much see the world in 50mm terms. 35 is a bit windy for me. 40mm is good, 50mm "natural"

Let me share with you my solution:
18988265.408cc8de.1024.jpg
Jan 30 - Back to Leitz par Lightmancer, on ipernity

This is a Leica II, which first saw the light of day in 1929. The lens is a 5cm (50mm) Elmar. The lens collapses, meanung the lot fits in a pocket. I also have the more up to date equivalent - a 50mm collapsible Elmar-M that fits on my M2. That setup fits in a slightly bigger and stronger pocket. This is battery-independent, built like a tank, and has a new sensor every shot. Everything you need, and nothing you don't. What's not to like? ;)

Sent from another Galaxy

I've often asked about and longed for a fixed-lens 50mm serious compact. I have and love the GXR/A12 50mm, but I would like to see an updated camera that serves that purpose. A 50mm GR would simply be perfect.

Whenever I ask about such cameras most respond that if a camera has a single focal length they prefer the 35mm focal length. In fact, I often carry more than one camera and a 28mm and 50mm pair would be ideal. The GXR A12s made that pairing, but both were larger than necessary given the GXR mount requirement.

I hope we see one someday. Ricoh and Leica are the two companies that I feel would be inclined to do it.

I've often asked about and longed for a fixed-lens 50mm serious compact. I have and love the GXR/A12 50mm, but I would like to see an updated camera that serves that purpose. A 50mm GR would simply be perfect.

Whenever I ask about such cameras most respond that if a camera has a single focal length they prefer the 35mm focal length. In fact, I often carry more than one camera and a 28mm and 50mm pair would be ideal. The GXR A12s made that pairing, but both were larger than necessary given the GXR mount requirement.

I hope we see one someday. Ricoh and Leica are the two companies that I feel would be inclined to do it.

I agree with the sentiment that there is something of a hole in the market that could/should be filled with a compact 50mm and it doesn't have to be a FF either, I'm sure there are plenty of people (myself included) who would be beside themselves with joy at the news of a small GR 50....or an X100L 50/2.
[...]
These days I'm really digging the 'bag of compacts' rather than a 'bag of lenses' idea. I like the 35mm FOV in it's own right....but I'd like a 28mm+50mm tag-team even more. One day someones going to make that relatively affordable fast 50 compact and my brain is going to explode :eek:
Well said you two, so well said. I'm in complete agreement, I'd now prefer a bag of compacts rather than lenses - and 28 & 50mm would serve me very well thank you very much. Now we just need Ricoh to read this and pass around the petition. I know of at least three signatures on it...

Back