50mm on cropped sensor for street?

B

blb

Do you find the 50mm on your cropped sensor camera to be useful for street/urban landscape use or is it too long?

It's good for street with a reflex as far as street with a reflex is a good option ;)
Actually, I tend to stay a step back when I use a reflex, so a 50 mm on APS-C is perfect for me.

what crop factor are you taking about - IMHO the bigger the factor the less useful a 50mm will be for what you have in mind, (street/urban landscape)

also AF versus MF is important - presumably you are considering a MF lens

I use my Nikkor 55mm 1.2 on my NEX 3 and it's the perfect length for me.

my 55mm f1.2 is a bit big and heavy for street and I can never focus mine quickly at f1.2 (or even slowly most of the time)
also f1.2 has a very very very shallow DOF ..........

how do you use yours?

here's mine on my G1 ........ which with a crop factor of x 2 - I find difficult to use for "street" or whatever that is perceived to be

G1_55_1.2.jpg

On aps-c for street photography the popular choices seem to be 35mm or 50mm. On 4/3 I'd say the 20, 25 and 45 all make sense depending on your shooting style.

I have a 45mm Rokkor that seems to be a nice range. It is small enough to be discrete, while a descent enough range for most shots.

While I prefer the range that my 28-70mm gives me it is a bigger longer and much more noticeable. Hard to pull of a discrete shot with that lens.

Back