Leica 50mm woes

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Jul 13, 2011
Lexington, Virginia
Steve
I hate the term "clinical" because I often like images described that way. It's like referring to all film images as "soft".
I think part of the joy of the Summilux is finding you actually managed to focus manually at 1.4 !

View attachment 205425

View attachment 205426

View attachment 205427

I also have the Zeiss 50mm 1.5 Sonnar and I think I prefer it's bokeh. The Summilux bokeh can be nasty at times I'm afraid. I try and find an example!
That second shot is marvelous. My hand automatically moved toward the screen to pinch her cheek.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Jul 13, 2011
Lexington, Virginia
Steve
Round three: Leica Summilux-M 50mm ASPH.

So I occasionally practice this "bidding in support" in some auction sites. I was looking for something else in eBay and while there, I found this good looking Summilux ASPH and I bid on it just for fun and to show support to the seller. No GAS really involved in that decision! But I made the grave mistake of not checking what these lenses actually go for. I assumed for a pristine 6bit-coded Summilux ASPH it'd be around 3k easy. I made a bid of €2.4k and went about my day.

As the closing time closing in I became nervous about not getting any "You've been outbid!" emails. 😰 Turns out € 2.4k is a pretty normal price for this lens on the ebays. 😵

Now you gotta realise I didn't have real GAS over another fast 50, not at least this soon! I mean, I had the Nokton for the entirety of 2 days before performing this stupid stunt. Nokton performs stupendously well for a 430-eur-used lens. Smooth to focus and very lovely rendering -- extremely perfectly sharp at all apertures on the center.

Of course, Summilux ASPH/practically-APO is in its class of its own. While I'm waiting for it to arrive from Ireland I'm starting to wonder if it's too perfect a lens? What I mean in this case:

View attachment 205416

These (all are in this post) pics taken with Nokton are extremely lovely. Sensational quality and rendering for a 430-eur-used lens. But just "expected" and "appropriate for the money paid" for a Summilux? Taking these sorts of shots with lenses a fraction of the price feels more fulfilling, satisfying. I hope that's not going to be the case in the long run.

View attachment 205417

Both these lenses are sharp and probably clinical to some eyes; perhaps the Nokton being 1/8 of the cost and performing a touch softer in places where it helps sounds like a real winner? Nokton does have some midfield/edge softness when shooting wide open. Then again, it's perfectly understandable ESPECIALLY when the vastly more expensive Leica gear behaves exactly the same, having midfield dips and whatnot. I'm not going to fault these lenses for copying the winning rendering recipe to a fault. :)

View attachment 205418

I don't deny: pretty much everything that I've read about the Summilux ASPH sounds like a winner to me. "The best bokeh in a fifty", that eye-piercing 3D pop at any aperture, all the talk about it being actually sharper than the 50 Summicrons (non-APO). For a fifty shooter, this is the desert-island lens.

View attachment 205420

And Nokton's not entirely perfect. The biggest issue: the bokeh balls have ugly nipples in them. Will definitely prefer a plain bokeh ball or a soap bubble.

View attachment 205419

Consider this post your regular "buyer's remorse" post and also a serenade to Nokton 1.5 ASPH! During the immediate aftermath of winning the bid I returned the Nokton back to the store as I had the option to. I think the 48 hours with it will leave a permament good memory.
I'm not sure I could ever be 2.4K supportive. 🤑 There's something really good in that rendering of the Sportster.

Last edited:

mike3996

Top Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
Ok the Nokton's back and I'm so happy about it. It's a tad lighter, its features are better for fast shooting (longer throw, good ring) and it's just a well made piece of gear just as the Summilux is.

Now I'm able to see how Nokton features some glow wide open but it's very sharp and usable at close distances.

I'm not too huge on making A/B comparisons on the go (you know me, I don't really like changing lenses) but I would like to get to the bottom of the reasons why Nokton resonated with me so much, and why I perceive the Summilux being clinical. I might begin on a new thread about that later on.

2019-09-27-11-28-MP006782.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2019-09-27-11-29-MP006787.jpg

mike3996

Top Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
There's no Summilux equivalent for this but this quickly focused and shot casual Nokton shot well reflects my past experience. No matter how and what I shoot, the bokeh will be sexy and characterful. And with Summilux I'm guessing (no proof!) this would have been so smooth and tidy, nobody would complain. But I would!

2019-09-27-11-33-MP006788.jpg

2019-09-27-11-33-MP006788_01.jpg

If you keep saying that Mandler-era Summilux lenses do this on the regular, hell yeah I'm interested. Then again, I have this here Nokton right in my hand, do I really need a Red dot brand lens that's ~ thrice the money and supposedly has some mild focus shift? :)

christilou

Legend
Jul 13, 2010
Sunny Frimley
I can't find a thread for this so it may be slightly off topic ..... however, I keep trying to put into words how I feel about the M + 50mm Summilux. Here I used the M10 and 50mm Summilux ASPH and then switched to the Sony A7RIII 35mm 1.4 ZA and took two almost exact same photos. I cropped the 35mm but even so, when I look at the output from the two cameras (same processing) I still get something richer looking from the M + 50mm Summilux combo.

mike3996

Top Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
Rendering, it goes a long way :)

For example, I don't think any of my fifties can match the Heliar 50/3.5 at f/3.5 in rendering, which the Heliar does which such ease and softness, yet everything focal plane is tack sharp of course.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom