50th SC Photo Challenge .............Show Me Indispensable! (Winner)

Petach

Hall of Famer
Name
Peter Tachauer
Apart from your Mum, Dad, Wife, Husband, Partner, Brother or Sister etc what do you consider to be the "indispensable" in your life? The thing you cannot do without. For me, it is comfy shoes. My poor old badly shaped, bunioned and kankled plates of meat require shoes with soft leather, memory foam innards and an ability to take whatever is thrown at them. Something like this:

18055398719_8f781436ea_c.jpg
Farewell Old Friends....
by Pete Tachauer, on Flickr

Farewell old friends. We were comfortable with each other from when we first met in Sydney. We walked Australia twice and New Zealand once…….beaches, hills, city streets, forests; and you never let me down. You were with me when I broke my leg at Doubtful Sound. You cherished and cared for my poor old plates of meat, my swollen Kankles without complaint……even when I tore you off my aching limbs and dumped you in the corner at the end of the day. I rarely cleaned you; but this selfish act on my part only served to make you more resolute and take on an air of scruffy and impoverished dignity.

The laces (unless double knotted) came undone at regular intervals. But, it did me good to struggle like a ****** down onto my knees, tuck my belly/bellies aside and break out in a breathless sweat as I attempted to reach them to retie them…..and then struggle to get back up again (unlike James Brown who could get down, get up again and do his thang. But he's dead now so what does he know now?)

Your too slippery sole caused my foot to slip off the clutch of the Z4 I recently purchased....whilst in first gear. Hitting the builders skip some 2 yards away doesn't appear to have done too much harm.

Caused me to brake left footed rather than press the clutch to change from 4th to 3rd whilst entering the M25 induced cardiac arrest...almost..... when I saw the 32 ton lorry bear down on me.......the driver; sausage sandwich in one hand, coffee in the other hand, eyes on his TV, feet up on the dash; totally unaware of my rapid deceleration from 70 to 30.

Frankly, you are too big for the task, too indelicate; with your boat like dimensions, to be allowed to play with my life AND give the fragrant Mrs T the proof she is desperately looking for to show that I should not have the car at all.

I have squeezed every ounce out of you, my bunions have pushed you out of shape......no one else could ever wear you and it is time to say farewell and……..oooh, look Clarke’s Shoes has a sale on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, show me indispensable. Maybe even include the reason why.

The Challenge will run for just over two weeks from tomorrow the 23rd February 2018 until Saturday 10th March 2018.

All the usual Challenge RULES will apply, including:

1. Either take pictures that match the nominated theme or select some from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the images in order to enter it.

2. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement pictures that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

3. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo-challenge, after all!

4. The winner will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Challenge, and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the SC Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

5. The curator cannot enter his or her own salon

Last edited:
The biggest one for me is a spouse with a sense of humor. I'm not talking about being a great standup, but someone who is able to roll with the punches, make me smile and put up with my sometimes dumb mistakes.

_DSC7805.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The biggest one for me is a spouse with a sense of humor. I'm not talking about being a great standup, but someone who is able to roll with the punches, make me smile and put up with my sometimes dumb mistakes.

View attachment 133365

Ah, sense of humour. Where would we be without it? I have one too. Often got me into trouble when I thought office meetings were too dull for me to stay awake. Used to have a chart with "management Speak" phrases and if you got them all in a row you had to shout "Bull*** Bingo".

This was indispensable to me for years, my faithful friend and companion, my ancient (and first) typewriter, an old Royal, which I lugged across several states and several continents, to always have at the ready. Impossible to say how many pages I typed on it, or how many ribbons I have changed.

View attachment 133367

Kids today would marvel or cringe at the idea of having to actually hit keys hard, carriage return, fit ink ribbon, use Tipex and carbon copy sheets to duplicate a document...even an odd offset letter or 2 on the document. A Detective Chief Inspector at Scotland Yard had to review all case papers submitted for legal assistance to prosecute. If there was a mistake on the papers he would red line diagonally across each page with a pen and you would have to go back to the office and retype it.

This was indispensable to me for years, my faithful friend and companion, my ancient (and first) typewriter, an old Royal, which I lugged across several states and several continents, to always have at the ready. Impossible to say how many pages I typed on it, or how many ribbons I have changed.

View attachment 133367

I used to have and use an old Royal portable...but have never seen one with touch control before. That's pretty cool! :D

Kids today would marvel or cringe at the idea of having to actually hit keys hard, carriage return, fit ink ribbon, use Tipex and carbon copy sheets to duplicate a document...even an odd offset letter or 2 on the document. A Detective Chief Inspector at Scotland Yard had to review all case papers submitted for legal assistance to prosecute. If there was a mistake on the papers he would red line diagonally across each page with a pen and you would have to go back to the office and retype it.

As charming as these are, I don't want to go back

My car. Its getting on a bit now, 15 years old, but its my last. Soon enough I will have to give up my driving licence and then I'll be tootling about on a mobility scooter. What the car means to me now is complete independence. I dont need to wait until someone can take me into town or to the beach. I wont be doing the beach probably within the year. So my car is very very important. Essential, even.

9D4E0C86-677E-4435-8179-58868D0C7DBA.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My car. Its getting on a bit now, 15 years old, but its my last. Soon enough I will have to give up my driving licence and then I'll be tootling about on a mobility scooter. What the car means to me now is complete independence. I dont need to wait until someone can take me into town or to the beach. I wont be doing the beach probably within the year. So my car is very very important. Essential, even.

View attachment 133381

Well Sue, I have never had the same car for 15 years. Nor 15 months.....I love cars, and have chopped and changed almost as many times as I have with cameras. But I can appreciate how much it means to you for your independence. My license is almost limited too. I have a 3 yearly one due to my PD and I know one day they will stop me....just a case of when? I hope you manage to keep using it for longer than you think....hang in there Sue!

I cannot photograph it. I have seen, in my professional life, many who had lost it, and the elderly in my life who are losing it … It is my mind. Without it I am not me.

19612D8D-186B-47E6-87F3-31544603CFCC.jpeg

My love of music which really began when I was a teen. This was taken in 1973 in Dallas at the Majestic Theatre. King Crimson, with the late John Wetton on vocals and bass. I memorable concert, if not a great photo. Hand held film developed and printed in my makeshift darkroom. Music guides and centers my life and is truly indispensable.

Back