Sony 55-210

BruPri

Top Veteran
Name
Bruce J. Pritchard
Just got the lens for my NEX-7 which appears to be indefinitely delayed. Popped it on my C3 and the image quality is as good if not better than my fast legacy Nikon glass. Needless to say I'm pleased. Go figure.

A couple samples...

55-210/NEX C3
55-210-3.jpg
55-210-2.jpg
55-210-1.jpg
55-210-1_1_.jpg

How does it handle on the C3? Be honest now :) I am sure you are handling the lens with a camera, not a camera with a lens, but would it be comfortable for long term use? Does it focus hunt at the long end, especially when shooting an isolated subject? Any feedback is appreciated!

How does it handle on the C3? Be honest now :) I am sure you are handling the lens with a camera, not a camera with a lens, but would it be comfortable for long term use? Does it focus hunt at the long end, especially when shooting an isolated subject? Any feedback is appreciated!

Considering my Nikon fast glass alternatives weigh twice what this does, yes, comfortable. No problem with the long end focus in normal daytime lighting, I use center spot focus so it pretty much locks on to any contrasty thing even at night.

Considering my Nikon fast glass alternatives weigh twice what this does, yes, comfortable. No problem with the long end focus in normal daytime lighting, I use center spot focus so it pretty much locks on to any contrasty thing even at night.

Thanks. I tried the 18-200, and found it hunted like nobody's business even in reasonable light, so I was wondering about this lens.

Thanks. I tried the 18-200, and found it hunted like nobody's business even in reasonable light, so I was wondering about this lens.

My guess is that with any contrast detect system, the performance of the lens probably has as much to do with the body as with the lens. That's certainly been the case with the m43 lenses, which almost ALL are a lot faster and less prone to hunt on the latest bodies than with bodies from even a year ago. So it wouldn't surprise me if this lens and the other Nex lenses will be a lot quicker to lock AF with the new bodies than the old ones. I'm assuming the new Nex bodies are on par with the new m43 bodies as far as upping their AF performance, but i don't know that - I'm just guessing they would with all of the other improvements.

-Ray

Hi Ray,

I am not sure they are equal yet. I was just at BestBuy playing with the NEX 5n and the EPM1. The EPM1 focused much faster than the 5n, though I would say both were more than adequate. The new Oly's are just lightening fast at present. The one issue I had with the 5n, was I could hear that "clicking" sound inside :( I was thinking of trying one, but I'm not so sure now. I did get to see the 55-210, but it was behind a case, and they wouldn't take it out. It is much smaller in person than I thought. A nice size, though I'd prefer faster than 6.3 at the long end.

My guess is that with any contrast detect system, the performance of the lens probably has as much to do with the body as with the lens. That's certainly been the case with the m43 lenses, which almost ALL are a lot faster and less prone to hunt on the latest bodies than with bodies from even a year ago. So it wouldn't surprise me if this lens and the other Nex lenses will be a lot quicker to lock AF with the new bodies than the old ones. I'm assuming the new Nex bodies are on par with the new m43 bodies as far as upping their AF performance, but i don't know that - I'm just guessing they would with all of the other improvements.

-Ray

The flame one is cracking. How did you do it?
I'll let you in on my secret technique Heather, (I turned on the camera, pointed and pressed the shutter, pretty much all in one fluid motion)

Seriously, that's pretty much it, the lens locked on and I snapped the pic. The room was pretty dark, (restaurant lighting) so the camera exposed for the flame.

I am about to return my 55-210 due to not just hunting but inability to focus at all in low light. I wonder if it is defective...it does really well in good light and it's sharp if I can get it to focus. I am using it on the 5n.

Well, at the long end it is 6.3 which is pretty slow and any lens like this using contrast detection is going to hunt at times. That being said, I've personally seen this lens better my best Nikon glass which speaks volumes to me with regards to optic quality combined with the C3

Back