5542 on the first train of the day

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
5542 prepares to run the first auto train of the day between Buckfastleigh and Totnes. Such a train can be driven from either the locomotive footplate or the driving cab of the auto coach, thus the locomotive does not need to uncouple and run around the carriage in order to make the return journey.

1070927-b_w.jpg

5542 on shed and raising steam

1070929-b_w.jpg

The fireman climbs aboard to check on the progress of steam raising

1070933-b_w.jpg

With steam pressure established 5542 backs off shed with the cylinder drain cocks open to clear any condensation

1070938-b_w.jpg

5542 and a single auto coach back out of the yard

1070940-b_w.jpg

5542 pulls forward into the departure platform

1070944-b_w.jpg

The driving cab of the auto coach, the drivers hat hangs on the regulator handle. All the controls are linked to the engine via metal rods running beneath the carriage and the engine

1070947-b_w.jpg

The driver puts in place the correct headlamp code for a branch auto train

1070951-b_w.jpg

The signalman hands over the single line token to the fireman on the departing train

1070952-b_w.jpg

5542 heads off towards Totnes

Barrie

Love the first one for the rivets (if that's the right word?) and the sheets of metal, and love the last one for the composition - so much to see, such a sense of immersion into that part of the world!

Barrie, these are very good. I couldn't help noticing the driver's leather bag and thinking how this might be converted to a camera bag. I imagine you are going to have a lot of fun with the black and white features of Sigma Photo Pro 5.5.

Lived by a train yard when I grew up, one the largest in the midwest.. loved to hang out back there as a kid and watch the trains, every so often a really old one would be there, wheels bigger than I was. Love these photos, nearly like reliving my own past.

Back