600, 1200mm comparison -- Rx10, Oly M1

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
RX 10 IV at 600:

RX10 600 1200 test 001.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

OLy 75-300:
M1 600 1200 test 007.JPG

M1, Oly 14-150 II:

M1 600 1200 test 001.JPG

At 1200 (2x digital zoom):

Rx10:

RX10 600 1200 test 002.JPG

M1 with 75-300:

M1 600 1200 test 008.JPG

Cheers, Jock

Interesting. Initially I was surprised the background was so much smoother on the RX10 IV image. But I keep forgetting the four-thirds sensor isn't that much larger than a one-inch sensor. So the aperture differences really do make a difference. There's also a clear difference in color science between Sony and Oly. Any thoughts of your own when comparing these images, Jock?

Interesting. Initially I was surprised the background was so much smoother on the RX10 IV image. But I keep forgetting the four-thirds sensor isn't that much larger than a one-inch sensor. So the aperture differences really do make a difference. Any thoughts of your own when comparing these images, Jock?

Well, it strikes me that the 75-300 comes in third, and that the 25-150 at 2x digital zoom (600mm e) does pretty well against the RX10 lens. The 75-300 appears to be the least "contrasty" of the three.

Any of them, though, would be plenty good enough if I ever get a chance to document Bigfoot. (grin)

Cheers, Jock

I think one aspect that shows here is one of the 75-300mm's main weaknesses - flare/glare when shooting against a bright background...

I love that lens, but that's a situation it is really bad at...

Interesting. Initially I was surprised the background was so much smoother on the RX10 IV image. But I keep forgetting the four-thirds sensor isn't that much larger than a one-inch sensor. So the aperture differences really do make a difference. There's also a clear difference in color science between Sony and Oly. Any thoughts of your own when comparing these images, Jock?
2/3 stop difference between m43 vs 1" sensors so it is similar to m43 vs apsc difference... 1.5 stop faster lens gives shallower dof...

Back