Film 70 year old photos. Great quality!

Studio set ups and who says that they aren't pushing or pulling the film as they develop.. if only it was sooc. But even with film it isn't... if you do it the hands on way.

Totally and utterly mind-blowing. Those colours, those textures :cloud-9-039: I want me a roll of Kodachrome....though I fear buying an M-Monochrom might be cheaper than securing 36 frames :blush:

It begs the question: will our great grandchildren's generation be able to do the same with our RAW or JPEG files?

Totally and utterly mind-blowing. I want me a roll of Kodachrome....though I fear buying an M-Monochrom might be cheaper :blush:

It begs the question: will our great grandchildren's generation be able to do the same with our RAW or JPEG files?

two things here Mark ...

1. Please look up "question begging" online somewhere ... it doesn't mean what everyone thinks it means and, as the owner of a "useless liberal arts degree" as well as being a pedantic arse, it pains me to see it misused.

2. Kodachrome: I have a roll of Kodachrome64 in my possession. I imagine it has been sat in someone's loft for about a quarter of a century, and there's about a foot of leader sticking out, so I have no idea whether it's used and been partially rewound, or unused and just lost a few frames. If you really really want some Kodachrome, I will entertain offers of large amounts of cash :D

1. Please look up "question begging" online somewhere ... it doesn't mean what everyone thinks it means and, as the owner of a "useless liberal arts degree" as well as being a pedantic arse, it pains me to see it misused.
Obviously you're not alone mate in having received a high distinction in "Pedant 302" ;)...there's websites dedicated to correcting ignoramuses like me just on this one turn of phrase. :doh: Man, I'm an arts bachelor myself but I suppose with my philosophy double major we were too busy picking the lint out of our belly buttons to apply thought to semantics. :blush: Got some seriously good drinking time in and had a riot contemplating our Cogito Ergo Sum, brain in a vat, Buridan's Ass, etc. Oh so many memories.....oh who am I kidding, I lost more brain cells in those 4 years than for the entirety of my existence since - so can't recall squat.

2. Kodachrome: I have a roll of Kodachrome64 in my possession. I imagine it has been sat in someone's loft for about a quarter of a century, and there's about a foot of leader sticking out, so I have no idea whether it's used and been partially rewound, or unused and just lost a few frames. If you really really want some Kodachrome, I will entertain offers of large amounts of cash :D
I'll open the bidding at $1.00 ;)

BTW: The question remains....ummm....unanswered.

All jokes and offtopic stuff to one side ... these really are wonderfully crafted photographs, and the handling of dof and lighting (very few of the factory shots are candids) shows a master at work. The clarity and detail and what we'd now call "dynamic range" are fantastic. I suppose some of that is to be expected from the format used.

Apparently the photographer (Alfred T Palmer) was once tripod-carrier to some guy named Ansel Adams ... from whom, by the looks of things, he learned a lot.

As documents they are also fascinating - the "heroic poses" remind me of Soviet propaganda photography from the same period, not surprising given that Palmer created this series as an employee of the US government.

thanks for thinking to share this with us all Chris

thanks

Back