Leica 7Artisans 35mm f/2 news - its a Sonnar

Hi all,

Thought a few readers here (I'm looking at you @Brian) might be interested to know that the forthcoming 7Artisans 35mm f/2 is a 7/5 Sonnar design.

I've been playing with a prototype and have just published a post with a few more details here

Hope you guys don't mind the brazen promotion of my website - just figured there's not so much point in me repeating myself here when all the details can be found via the link...

Cheers,

Hamish

I can't remember another Sonnar formula 35mm focal length lens for a full-frame camera. The Biogon is an asymmetric design, "similar" approach, but not a Sonnar. It was limited to F2.8.

I'll be looking forward to some comparisons. Do you have a good J-12 in LTM?

I'd love to borrow this lens for some comparison shots- Else, I will wait until it comes out and just buy one. I have the LTM 35/1.7 Ultron, Nikkor 3.5cm F2.5, J-12 that's really a CZJ Biogon optics module in an LTM mount...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Zeiss Biogon 35mm which I love but I have been waiting for this lens with a lot of interest. Very good view and I think for me it comes down to price, if its cheap enough I will give it a try.

I have the Zeiss Biogon 35mm which I love but I have been waiting for this lens with a lot of interest. Very good view and I think for me it comes down to price, if its cheap enough I will give it a try.

I know what it’s going to retail for, but can I ask what you would be happy to pay?

I can't remember another Sonnar formula 35mm focal length lens for a full-frame camera. The Biogon is an asymmetric design, "similar" approach, but not a Sonnar. It was limited to F2.8.

I'll be looking forward to some comparisons. Do you have a good J-12 in LTM?

I'd love to borrow this lens for some comparison shots- Else, I will wait until it comes out and just buy one. I have the LTM 35/1.7 Ultron, Nikkor 3.5cm F2.5, J-12 that's really a CZJ Biogon optics module in an LTM mount...

I’ve asked if they mind me sending it on, else I’ll send you a production one to “try before you buy” from stock when I get it Brian - I owe you a favour or two ;)

Lomography - Expert Advice: Brian Sweeney's First Impressions of the New Jupiter 3+

I must be a Sonnar Expert... They say so!

Send them a link of my J-3+ test. I bought one of the first ones in the US- company asked me to do an "Interview" and write-up. I guess they liked the article, after it was published- they sent me a second lens for free, just got a UPS tracking number and it showed up on my door. I use the second one on the M Monochrom.

Lomography - Expert Advice: Brian Sweeney's First Impressions of the New Jupiter 3+

I must be a Sonnar Expert... They say so!

Send them a link of my J-3+ test. I bought one of the first ones in the US- company asked me to do an "Interview" and write-up. I guess they liked the article, after it was published- they sent me a second lens for free, just got a UPS tracking number and it showed up on my door. I use the second one on the M Monochrom.

Haha, I think your an expert, and I'm told I am one too, therefore I must know what I am talking about! ;)

I have sent them that link - cross your fingers! ;)

Hey @Brian, good news! ;)

In other news, I posted a list a little like this on RFF yesterday- Stephen banned my and deleted all of my posts since 2008...
so do let me know if I ever step over the line here...

I think that, probably, the closest Sonnar may be one that I really love, the Rollei Sonnar 40/2.8 HFT... although it is really closer to a Miyazaki Sonnetar optical scheme, 5 elements in 4 groups...

AKv0vyI.jpg

The 35mm in the Nikon l35 is supposed to be a Sonnar - I have a formula diagram for the 7Artisans lens, but they’ve said they don’t want me to share it yet... I will as soon as I can

How could I forget that one! Definitely Sonnars, the filler element dropped from the front triplet. The filler was added to reduce transmission loss.

I might have a broken one in the basement- will have to look.

I know what it’s going to retail for, but can I ask what you would be happy to pay?

I can see the Sony version going for around £140 UK pounds and you say this will be more expensive so I am hoping it will not be above £200 UK.

Sorry for the slow reply but i have been travelling :)

Interesting times and interesting products from China.

A whole new generation of enthusiasts.

(I have probably made enough money to buy several of these lenses by picking up Nikon L35's at flea markets for a couple of bucks and reselling them on eBay. Ditto for Yashica P&S cameras with Zeiss Tessar lenses.)

I have been banned myself....multiple times under multiple personas.....on RFF.

Just curious, what did they think was so terrible about you reporting on a new lens??

Hey @Brian, good news! ;)

In other news, I posted a list a little like this on RFF yesterday- Stephen banned my and deleted all of my posts since 2008...
so do let me know if I ever step over the line here...

Well, you didn't ask me, but I'll answer: I'd think it should be a bit less the the 50mm f1.1, and more than the Sony version, so, $200 to $250? (US dollars) At that price, I'd buy one, sights unseen.
A hundred dollars more, $300 to $350, and I'd wait until there were several reviews out. But that's still attractive.

Back