Leica Showcase 7Artisans 50mm F1.1 M-Mount lens

I've got one of these, 2nd hand, a year ago and it's been married to my Leica M-E (type 220)

mats7artisans.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Charles.jpg

CW190001.jpg

CW190042.jpg

Not a big fan of it wide-open, but no complaints at f/2.2 or smaller.

We certainly were carrying a lot of guns that trip....not so many roses.
We got those from the people of St.Truiden and the 1940s Civilian re-enactors.

SO190210.jpg

SO190281.jpg

SO190388.jpg

Same week-long event with same camera and lens

The TTartisans 50/0.95 is out, and the price ~$760 makes it very tempting to add another Super-Speed lens.
But then- I have the 7Artisans 50/1.1 and remember I bought it BECAUSE it is a Sonnar formula lens. The TTartisans lens is not. The 50/0.95 is much bigger and heavier, and less than 1/2stop faster. I made a custom vented lens hood for the 7Art 50/1.1 that lets me stick with 55mm filters, rather than the 55->58 step-up. Less viewfinder blockage that way.

Need vs "need for Speed" and interest in the optics.

I never got my Canon 50/0.95 converted to M-Mount, stays on the Canon 7. I got it for $200. Maybe when i break down and get a full-frame mirrorless, will get the Canon Breech-lock adapter for it. BUT- the Voigtlander 50/1.1 is so good, just could not see converting it. And- I found a perfect glass Canon 50/1.2 with a Canon Vt deluxe for $400. SO- I have the look of the 50/0.95 without the viewfinder blockage.

On the 50/1.1 7Art, I found a 55 filter+ 55 hood caused some vignetting. SO- I used a 55-58 step up.
I bought some 55mm clip on Olympus hoods, rubber hood. Cut the rubber off and epoxied vented hoods onto it. SO- they clip over the 55mm filter, and less VF blockage. I use this for the 7art and the Canon 50/1.2.

Hmmmm. I didn't really notice any vignetting with the 55mm hood. But now I've gone back and looked at some images where I was using it ...and there it is!

Some non-hooded images

HD190714.jpg

HD190723.jpg

HD190724.jpg

Historic Festival - House Doorn - July 2019
Leica M-E

Pictures of my Hacked-Hood, total cost ~$10.

The clamp-on filter has better clearance of the lens. An original clamp-on vented good for the Canon runs > $100 these days.

I received my new to me copy of this lens in the mail yesterday and took a few test shots overnight and on my way home.

L1005008.jpg

9 pm, cloudy sky, out in the countryside and turned off the truck so no headlights. I can't hold all that well at 1/2 but the basic idea of enough light to be useful is there.

L1005016.jpg

Lights off overhead, plenty of light from the side

L1005024.jpg

More light from the hotel window than I thought an hour before dawn. This is going to get interesting :)

L1005028.jpg

Lights off overhead, not that you'd notice.

The TTartisans 50/0.95 is out, and the price ~$760 makes it very tempting to add another Super-Speed lens.
But then- I have the 7Artisans 50/1.1 and remember I bought it BECAUSE it is a Sonnar formula lens. The TTartisans lens is not. The 50/0.95 is much bigger and heavier, and less than 1/2stop faster. I made a custom vented lens hood for the 7Art 50/1.1 that lets me stick with 55mm filters, rather than the 55->58 step-up. Less viewfinder blockage that way.
I caved in. Popflash had the TTArtisans Titanium version for $550. That is cheap- 50mm F0.95, Aspheric design and RF coupled.
I will post back on the 50/0.95 and the 90/1.5 Speedmaster- the two lenses for under $1K.

Back