800,000 pixels !

It recorded to a 3.5" floppy drive, later models used a 100MByte "Superfloppy".

Look for a Nikon 100- the entire camera went into a PCMCIA slot, 100K pixels?

The first digital photo I took, using a borrowed Sony Mavica with a 3.5 in. floppy disc, was an image of a Peregrine Falcon sitting on the ledge outside my 28th floor office in downtown Houston, circa 1998. I probably have that file somewhere.....but it's likely to be on an unreadable medium of some sort....:(

I have many 20 year old floppies that are still readable. I just recently found a ZIP100 disk, backed up ~1998 with a lot of files I thought lost.

I have working 3.5" and 5.25"floppy drives, ZIP, JAZ, and CLIK drives. Also have a CP/m computer in the basement. Have not fired it up in years. I used to process satellite images on it.

Awesome find, Luke. Gotta love how this person has all the original packaging... I wonder if they were using up until now?

Crazy how expensive the digital stuff was at the start... I can see why a lot of people stuck with analog (that and the 800k pixels). :D

800,000 pixels do fill a 1024-by-768 monitor with a few pixels to spare. For those of us still using that resolution, every photo being viewed full screen is only 800k...

Just sayin'...:)

You can't blame the manufacturers for designing their cameras like that. It was the time when Sigourney Weaver, due to her strong Amazonian role in Aliens, was the new wonder woman. So all men were modelling the cams on Xenomorphs:
AVP_Xenomorph.jpg

Honestly almost every new digicam of the day was born of that mould.

Just a shame camera designers didn't, and still don't, style them based on aliens that resonate with folks like me, you know more like these handsome devils.....

morlocks1.png

Hmmm...then again there's a little Penatx K-01 about them isn't there?

Back