Fuji 90/2 is here

AndyMcD

All-Pro
Initial impressions:

Not as big/heavy as I thought it would be
Super sharp (even at f2)
Quick
Close focus is better than I expected (should have known this from reading the specs)

I think that my core kitbag is going to be 16, 90, 56 in that order. I'm struggling to see what other lens I might need now (but I have said that soooooo many times before).

This is cropped a little bit

Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This was fooling around to see if I could get BIF, which is something that I have never felt able to do. I was using AF-S and single area focus, and is cropped fairly heavily.

I have settled on the 90 over the 50-140 in my decision making process. Will be picking one up in the next few weeks. And possibly replacing my 16mm 1.4 before the rebates end.

I'm so thrilled about being a Fuji shooter some time in the future. The biggest problem with 90/2 would be my own imagination ... I'd have hard time making the 135mm-eq work for my style.

I'm so thrilled about being a Fuji shooter some time in the future. The biggest problem with 90/2 would be my own imagination ... I'd have hard time making the 135mm-eq work for my style.

It does require a change in perspective and one's creative eye, but far beyond well worth it. And its ability to isolate subjects is remarkable.

XT2B0007_lzn-X3.jpg

Last edited:
When I shot Canon, I shot a ton with the 135mm. And I've shot a ton with the 90mm once it was released from Fuji. But, if it is a focal length which just doesn't work for what and how you shoot. There is no reason to force it. The beauty of the Fuji system is that even the bottom end lenses are capable of fantastic images.

On the other hand. As Merlin said, if you can adjust your way of seeing, the 90mm is well worth the time you put into it.

@Biro Congrats on the 90. It is an amazing lens.

I like the article. The only slight disagreement I have. Is that yes the 90 is a larger lens for mirrorless. But it weighs less than the 16-55. Th 90 is not heavy to carry around for long periods of time.

Back