Leica 90mm f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit (Thin)

A nice waitress at a neighborhood restaurant. M9 with 90mm Tele-Elmarit (thin)

14501983666_9fd9b087ff_b.jpg
14501983666_ba28dc82e9_b.jpg
Janine L1005927-1
by brusbybrusby, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops, I edited the photo to reduce contrast just a tad and reposted to flickr. It seems the link broke here. I was able to re-link in my original post but not in your reply. Sorry. But thanks for the nice comments.

I really like this lens, especially for portraits -- sharp but not analytical. And I love the super small size and light weight.

Haha, thanks a lot, now I'm gonna need latex gloves to handle it.

But seriously, this lens is a true tele design and so it's shorter than the non-tele version of the same vintage. It's small and light enough to put in a shirt pocket.

I haven't compared mine to the other vintage Elmarit versions so I can't give you any first hand info. I do have a 1961 3 element Elmar f4 which is sharper wide open and really tiny too, but for portraits I prefer the tele-Elmarit for its one stop aperture advantage, better bokeh and slightly softer and more dreamy skin rendering.

The new Elmarit is incredibly sharp and a really great lens but it's quite a bit bit bigger and heavier than this diminutive classic.

One caveat though, beware that some of the older Canadian versions had a problem with coating degradation on the rear element. I'm pretty sure all the later issues and particularly the German versions were problem free.

The modern 90/2.5 (2.4) Summarit is about the same size as the last Elmarit, but lighter, weighing a bit more than the Tele Elmarit. The Summarit is probably the best performing travel weight 90mm Leica lens ever.

Back