Fuji A BUG WITH THE FUJI M-MOUNT ON AN X-PRO2?

kbures

Name
Kenneth Bures
I have a Leica 90mm lens mounted on an X-PRO2 using Fuji's M-mount adaptor. This is a manual focus lens that is uncoupled to the focusing mechanism of the X-PRO2, so I do not expect that the brightline rectangle in the Optical Viewfinder (OVF) will move to correct parallax the way it does with a Fuji lens. However, what I see in the OVF is not one but two brightline rectangles, both being the correct size for a 90mm lens. But one is brighter than the other and it also shows the small focus area. The dimmer of the two 'brightline" rectangles is offset from the brighter one, shifted down and to the right by about 10 percent of the dimensions of the rectangle. When I actually take a photo and compare it to these two brightline rectangles, the dimmer of the two is more accurate. If I frame with the brighter rectangle, some of the image on the left and top is cut off. A Fuji fellow at US Fuji could reproduce the problem but did not know what caused it. It looks like a bug to me, hopefully one that can be corrected in a firmware update. As I pointed out to the Fuji guy, the brighter frame serves no useful purpose at all. The viewfinder should simply always display the dimmer rectangle, which is the more accurate representation of what the camera actually sees. What are your thoughts on this?

Didn't recognize a difference from previous versions: One bright frame for infinity, one for close-ups. The OVF's MFD is ca. 50 cm according to the manual. Make sure to enter/select the correct focal length of the adapted in the lens menu.

If there's OVF misalignment at infinity (best to check this with a regular X-Mount lens and enable the ERF window), the OVF might need mechanical readjustment.

the OVF might need mechanical readjustment.

Is that even physically possible?

And if so how?

With the exception of the dioptre, surely there's nothing mechanical in the OVF

And on a unrelated note,

You've been posting some nice images on Flickr lately, you're really getting the X-Pro2 / LR 6.5 combination to sing for you!

Is that even physically possible?

And if so how?

The OVF is fully mechanical and quite complex. We have read about several misaligned X-Pro1 OVFs, so it's highly likely that this problem could also exist in the X-Pro2. It's also known that Fuji service can fix it, but practically, it may depend on the competence of the repair center. I remember threads about cameras that came back with the same or even more severe misalignment. YMMV.

Thank you for liking my sample pics. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
...Make sure to enter/select the correct focal length of the adapted in the lens menu.

Hi Rico,
what value to enter? the 135mm value or the APSC equivalent value?

Example:
want to attach a 28mm Leica full frame lens, so the imputed value should be 28mm or 18mm?

Back